Forum Discussion

AprilDrennan-f8
Community Member
2 months ago

Changing the state of another object when dragging two objects over target

Hi. I have a project where I want another object (a math problem) to appear on the screen when the user has dragged two correct objects (a livingroom set and a bedset) on the specific target (the house) . I can get it to do it with one or the other, but not both. I have tried many combinations of variables without any luck. Any takers? Thanks in advance!

• Hi Andrew!

Thanks for all of your help. To be honest, I did do a lot of extra work because I don't do a lot with drag and drops and was figuring it out as I went. I'm sure I could have done it in a lot more "clean" fashion! I'm in that learning stage where you have to do it the hard way before you do it the easy way. Anyway, I really appreciate the time you took to look at my project. I have learned a lot from it.

Sincerely,

April

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi April!

I downloaded your Story file and made just one to change to get this working. (see attached)

All you need to do is use a single trigger which watches for the STATE of the correct items changing to "DragCorrect". When both items are in that state, the math text box changes to NORMAL and displays.

I hope that helps! :)

PS. Id love to know a little more about what you are trying to do here, because that slide had a huge amount of extra work you had done with custom states, custom variables and many many triggers... all of which Storyline would have actually done for you in its default drag drop state!

I might also suggest using some of the Drag Drop options (such as Return item to starting position... etc) to polish up the UX a little here and make it more intuitive for the user perhaps.

Just my two cents ;)