Forum Discussion

WendyJaehnig-61
Community Member
5 months ago

Chinese (Simplified) Font choice

For those who are creating courses in Chinese (Simplified) - what font are you using? (For background, I am using Storyline 360: April 30, 2024 version - so the most recent as of writing this.)

We are having issues with every font we try. Noto Sans produces looks great in the development environment but when we publish, words sometimes appear bold or italicized when they are not. I tried Noto Sans SC (Simplified Chinese) and if I change just one thing to that font, it crashes Storyline. (Somebody in another discussion mentioned this as well.) I have seen some folks say they have said they use Arial Unicode, but we have found that some characters are too thick after publishing (such that the Chinese character is actually filled in and you can't see the distinct lines), especially is the font is made bold.

Please tell me what font(s) you are using for Chinese (Simplified) that work well for you. 

I have submitted a support ticket (Case #00846668) but the solution did not solve the problem. I have followed up with more information on that ticket, so it may progress. But hoping maybe somebody has some ideas. Thanks!

• Hi Wendy!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with fonts in Storyline 360!

Thanks for sharing your case number! I see that my teammate Chester has been helping you. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to reconnect with him through your case!

For anyone discovering this thread with a similar issue:

The Noto Sans font does not have Chinese glyphs. Chinese glyphs are available in fonts such as Sim Sun, Song Ti, Ms Ya Hei, etc.

What’s happening in a project is that Storyline is trying to display what’s available in your system. Since we did not specify the font for each text box, it continuously searches and applies the best available match.

To fix the problem, install one of the Chinese Fonts mentioned above and ensure your texts use them. Once the correct font is applied, you can format the characters using the correct size and style (bold, italic, etc.)

• very important in storyline is to install the compatible font version of the fonts

storyline web player don't support variable fonts - only static font

• Thank you, Steven and Jürgen. 

I tried using Sim Sun and I am not experiencing the same issues. I don't like it as much as Noto Sans a font style. But it's certainly much important that the fonts are clear and readable, so I will probably continue to use it. 

Jürgen - I actually was using the static version, but I do appreciate this information about static vs. variable.