Forum Discussion

Johanhoken
Community Member
8 years ago

Choose between external sources and keep filename for module attachment

Hi, really like the attachment module:

block/multimedia/attachment

Got some suggestions for improvement, It would be great if the module also could let you link to an external file stored anywhere like "http://fildestinationtoexternalfilhisting.doc", instead of just upload to the platform.

For present functionality of the module, It would also be great to keep the files original filenames. I understand that when using a CDN the filename change, but if its possible It would be much nicer to the learner (if the learner for instance will download the file) to keep the origial file name.

Thanks! 

• Hi everyone! We fixed the issue in Rise 360 where extra characters were added to attachment block file names. Please have a look, and let us know if you have any further trouble with your attachment blocks!

NishaMakan
    Community Member

You could link to the document in a button block? It wouldn't tell you what type of document it is though...

Johanhoken
    Community Member

Hi Nisha, thanks for your suggestion. And, yes the button block is an alternative, but I think the attachment module would be best if the function could keep the filename.

• Hello Johan - Thanks for sharing your thoughts :) I'm submitting this feature on your behalf. If you have any other ideas, you are always welcome to share here.

• Hello Leslie,

Thanks for submitting the feature request to retain the filename of the attachment file. The randomly named file is making my learners nervous about downloading our lab data files. 

Thanks,
    Karen

• Hello Karen!

Would you be willing to share the attachment file with our team? We'd like to test it from our side to see if extra characters are added to the file name when downloading the file. 

If that works for you, you can share the file privately by opening a case here.

• Hi everyone! We fixed the issue in Rise 360 where extra characters were added to attachment block file names. Please have a look, and let us know if you have any further trouble with your attachment blocks!