Forum Discussion

RayCole-2d64185
Community Member
2 years ago

Clearing "Resume where you left off"

Hi Heroes,

My organization creates some e-learning which learners take and then must "refresh" on every year. Sometimes the refresher course is different from the initial one and sometimes it isn't. Either way, though, the "Resume where you left off" creates an issue for us. Let's say I take the course today and complete it. Then, next year, I need to refresh by taking it again. When I go to take it this second time, I'm asked if I want to resume where I left off. If I answer yes--BAM--I'm taken right to the end of the course, which could be sort of confusing to someone who hasn't taken the course for a year.

I'm posting to ask if there is a way to clear the cookie (if that's what this feature uses) or otherwise reset the "where you left off" page back to the start so that after someone COMPLETES a course for the first time, a button on the last slide can reset the "where you left off page" back to the start of the course so that next year, the learner either won't be asked if he or she wants to resume or if asked, the course will resume from the start rather than the end.

Does that make sense?

If so, and if it's possible, how do I do it?

Thanks!

• there is no method to reset the resume feature by a trigger (javascript)

if you don't use a LMS, the resume values are stored in "Local Storage" of the user browser

if the Key has changed (it is enough to change one char/image in the course) or the "Local Storage" is cleared (e.g. by the user or by Group Policy) -> resume is not available

RayCole-2d64185
      Community Member

Thanks Jürgen,

Just so I'm clear, are you saying that there is no way to change the Key via a trigger and no way to change the value of the Key either? How does the Key get changed when the course is updated and republished?

PhilMayor
        Super Hero

I didn’t get a chance to look over the weekend.

The player loads before the course so a trigger is not going to work. Are you tracking and storing. the bookmarking data?

Sent from my iPhone

• Normally, when a course is updated, the player's resume is automatically reset.

(because the resume data from the previous version don't fit to the new version*)

did you checked resume & updating a course on your LMS ?

* this is very often a problem, if you want to correct an error of the course

• A lot of LMSs now have the option to reset resume data when you upload an update, You can edit the same message toilet them know if it is their refresher to press no.

• Our problem is that our course catalog size exceeds our tiny 3-person team's ability to update every course every year, so sometimes it is literally the same course that someone takes this year that they will take again next year. This is the situation in which the "resume" feature takes the learner right to the end of the course (since they completed it already last year).

What I'm looking for is a way to reset the page where the course will resume to, or maybe a way to check how long ago the course was completed and disable the "resume" or reset the page where it will resume to, if the last completion was, say, more than 9 months ago.

PhilMayor
      Super Hero

The player loads before the course, it might be possible, never really looked to see how resume loads. I will have a look over the weekend to see if I can find something.

Sent from my iPhone

RayCole-2d64185
        Community Member

Phil, that would be awesome. Thank you!

One more bit of info that might be relevant: we don't use a SCORM LMS here. Everything is published for "web" and there is a "Get Credit" button at the end of each course that records the completion into a homebrew training/tracking system.

This means two things:

1. We could potentially put a trigger on this Get Credit button to reset the resume feature or resume-to page.

2. For any solution to this problem to be useful to us, that solution must involve only Storyline or maybe JavaScript features; it can't require LMS features.

• Cool. Thanks Phil. No pressure. But obviously the ability to manage the "Resume?" question is of interest to me and my organization.

• it seems to be possible to overwrite the ID on data.js*

the course is starting and resume without problem with the customized ID

but i would not change the structure of the course or the storyline variables in any case

*with a post processing script (or by hand)

Jürgen_Schoene_
      Community Member

the trick for reuse an 'outdated' resume state after update course (Text changed) also works with LMS

just tested on SCORM cloud with a storyline scorm 1.2 course

Jürgen_Schoene_
        Community Member

Storyline creates for every publish a new Resume-ID, even if nothing has changed

so all resume infos are lost, when you publish an old course - without any changes - with the current version of storyline*

(tested with Storyline 3.6.3 & 3.7.1)

* e.g. to fix the Firefox start error, which is fixed with Storyline 3.66.28355.0

Alison-L
    Community Member

Dear Ray Cole, (raises hand). I'm just wondering if you ever got this issue resolved, and why you didn't just Player>Other>On restart: Prompt to resume?

And then somewhere around the link to the course just say "If you get a 'Prompt to Resume?' click NO."

? - Thanks!

SORRY if this brings back bad memories, and you want to ignore it completely. Any/All Good here.

Alison 

RayCole-2d64185
      Community Member

Hi Alison,

In order for someone to see anything in the course, they would already have had to answer the "Resume where you left off?" question. So it won't work to put instructions in the course to answer "No" to this question; by the time they see the instructions, it'll be too late--they'll have already answered the question, possibly with "Yes."

• I am hunting for the same solution.  Articulate Team, this would be a great feature to add to future versions of the software: the ability to resume a course until a certain slide, at which point the resume feature is disabled and the course would have to be restarted.