Forum Discussion

JackieCarter
Community Member
4 months ago

Data entry field in Rise 360

I am creating a course where the SME wants users to be able to enter some ideas/thoughts at the beginning, and then after they have finished the course to revisit what they entered to compare to what they have learnt.

The only way I could think to do this was to create a slide in SL360 with a large data entry field and pull this into my Rise course.  This seems to work in that user can enter text but my question is - "is there a way to take the user back to view their entry later in the course"?

JackieCarter
    Community Member

Hi Karin - thank you for your response.  The answer is yes I have tried this and it works in that it does take user back to the page, but the data entry fields have not saved any details that were entered.?

KarinRex
    Community Member

Did you include a submit button for the Storyline block? (I am not sure this will work...just figured I would ask.)

• Hi Jackie

Unfortunately, when you exit a Storyline Block in RISE, the variables you have set in the block are not retained. There are a number of ways around this including:

(a) Use a  JavaScript trigger to write the text data you have captured in the Storyline block to local browser memory.

Local browser memory is storage used by browsers to store things like cookies that can be retained for a single browser session or, indeed, even if you close the browser window and re-open it. This works fine - except that the data is lost if the learner switches browser or device in the middle of a course.

(b) You could use JavaScript to write the text data you have captured to an external file - this needs to be on a different server (browsers will not allow the code to write to a local file for security reasons). But some developers use Google docs to store data in this way.

(c) It is possible if you are running the RISE course under a SCORM 2004 compliant LMS to use JavaScript to write the text data to the SCORM data structure. I have done this using a data array that is defined as part of the SCORM standard used for capturing learners comments the cmi.comments_from_learner data array.

There are other techniques using HTML5 and CSS code you can find on this site.

Hope this helps

Regards