Forum Discussion

KeithTrodden-48
Community Member
3 hours ago

E-learning process problem

Hi all,

I work for a large company and our team produces a lot of internal e-learning projects for various Learning Consultants and Subject Matter Experts and we normally go through this process:-

1. Needs Analysis (5Di)
  2. Content Gathering
  3. Instructional Design
  4. Storyboarding
  5. Prototype Development
  6. Development
  7. Review and Testing
  8. Implementation
  9. Evaluation and Feedback

However, as we go through this process, we go through the perennial problem of the LCs and SMEs constantly coming up with changes to the storyboard and content AS we are trying to produce these, making us go round in circles and missing deadlines.

A lot of these changes are of the "pointless" variety unfortunately

We have tried to explain to these guys that we NEED to get these done urgently but this seems to fall on deaf ears.

I just wondered if anyone on these forums has experienced this and found any effective, workaround, methodology etc to eliminate or at least minimise this?

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

• "Sounds like a frustrating situation. Constant changes can definitely derail the process. Maybe consider setting stricter review checkpoints or freezing the content after certain stages. You could also try using a change request form to filter out 'pointless' edits. Hope you find a solution that works!"

• If possible, the main stakeholder should be involved or, at least, informed (to keep folks accountable for their requests). Ideally, there should be one person who has "final say" when the team can't come to a consensus. 

I think it helps to have an official change-request form—as well as a documented reply that specifies how a change request will impact the timeline and budget. In other words, ask: "Is this change worth missing the deadline, which will cost us ___?" 

Or simply say something like, "That change-request is out of scope. It would cause us to miss the deadline. I'll have to get approval from [name of higher up manager here]." (This is where it helps to have backup from the managers for keeping things in line.)