Forum Discussion

TinaRuybalid-7d
Community Member
4 years ago

Educating clients on eLearning design

Our team often faces the challenge of clients thinking creating an eLearning course is very simple (plug and play type) and ask for extremely quick turnaround times.  We want to educate our clients on what it takes to create a dynamic eLearning course so they will have a foundational understanding of the process, time, and design intricacies that it involves.  Has anyone done this before or have any suggestions?  I think it would be awesometo create a microRISE course that explains the process.   I welcome ideas and suggestions! Thanks!

RamonaTyler
    Community Member

That is a good idea. I have never created a course. I have worked with developers and project managers to physically show them the process. The goal was to show them how making simple changes to UI without communicating affects other teams. I would be interested to see what you come up with. If you have access to any systems, that would be a good thing to demonstrate. (A color changed means the entire project must be restarted, a button moved from left to right, an additional link added to a header, etc.)

ADAEgret
    Community Member

Hello,

Our Instructional Design team ran into the same issues you are when project planning for our clients! Our clients were having difficulties with identifying where our bottlenecks were, and why they existed at all (the same "plug and play" mentality was found to be the cause of this).

We found that what helped, was both talking with and demoing the process we went through to build the courses. Once we demoed our design process the reasons why building quality training takes time was made a little more clear. We went into details starting with our Subject Matter Experts, and then moved onto logistics, before finally getting into the details of how and what our course authors do when creating a course.

Sadly, we were never able to create a standardized training material that talked about the design process since we found that different people were confused about different aspects of the entire process. Some were familiar with LMSs, while wholly unfamiliar with how course content worked, and some were the other way around.

Eventually we settled for asking each new client if they were aware of the process and what went into it before starting. If they showed any confusion or gaps in knowledge, we made sure educate and demo until things were more clear.

The only time we received pushback (they weren't happy that it still took a long time), we ended up building two courses as a future example. One course which was dynamic and full of interactions, the other course static and quite bare (but with the same basic information fully intact). We recorded the time required to design and build each type of course, and presented them as options. Seeing the difference and the time required between each really helped to drive home what the extra time was providing, while also giving our client an option to choose a less time-intensive option if they wanted.

I sincerely hope this helps! The world of eLearning is highly complex, and passing that information on rarely easy! Keep at it and good luck. :)