Forum Discussion

JessicaDobbs-36
Community Member
3 months ago

Essay Response Rise 360

Hi all! I am looking add a few essay questions to a Rise course. I'd like the responses to save so that when learners revisit the course, they can review their answers. OR I'd like an option to export their responses and save them. Here's what I've tried:

1. Storyline block - does not save the responses in Rise like it would in a full Storyline course.
  2. Google doc - sends me the response (which I don't need), but does not give the learner an option to save it without signing in (which is not an option my team will use)

Has anyone found a workaround for this situation? What am I missing? 

• Hi @Jessica Dobbs

Not exactly what you are looking for - but we have done a couple of projects where we have captured the learner's text input using Storyline Blocks at certain points in a RISE course, stored the variables and then retrieved them at the end of the course and, using a Storyline Block with some JavaScript, put the variables into a pdf file which is then offered to the learner for download. See demo:

RISE Downloadable Notes demo

The challenge is (as you have found), JavaScript doesn't have variables and the variables you use in a Storyline Block are lost as soon as the learner exits the Block. So you have to store the variables somewhere. There are a few options:

(a) Use local browser storage. This is very easy and works well. The downside is that if the learner exits the course and returns, the variables are still there UNLESS they change device, browser or clear the browser memory

(b) We have used the 'learner notes' data structure in a SCORM 2004 compliant LMS to store the variables - this also works well.

(c) probably a better solution (which we haven't done yet) is to use an LRS and store the text input data with xAPI calls.