Forum Discussion

MariePawlowski
Community Member
4 months ago

Having trouble with Disabled State in Storyline 360

I'm working on a slide that has several layers that are shown when user clicks on objects on the base layer, however I don't want learners to be able to click on things until the timeline ends on the base layer. I also need to make sure that user cannot access my "back" and "next" buttons until all layers are viewed, so I set state of buttons to "hidden" then trigger to set to "Normal" only when state of all base layer objects is "Visited."  The states I am using for base layer objects are Normal, Disabled and Visited. I have triggers on each layer to change the state of base layer objects to visited once timeline on respective layer ends. 

What I've tried:

Set state of each object to disabled when timeline starts, then trigger to change state to normal when timeline ends. Result - if learner clicks object before timeline ends, next layer is shown and audio from base layer continues along with audio from object's layer.

Set state of each object to disabled when timeline starts, added hotspots with triggers to show layers. Result - learner cannot advance to layers until timeline ends on base layer (hotspots are at end of timeline), however, learner can click on "disabled" objects on base layer and then those convert to visited state even before the layer was visited.

So basically, it doesn't seem my "Disabled" states are staying disabled. I can't figure out if there is something going wrong with the software or if I'm just doing something wrong.

• I find it easier to use a custom state than the built-in Visited state.  I called my custom state Complete. I deleted every other state except Normal, Hover, and Disabled.

Set the initial state of all buttons to Disabled.

Add these triggers to the base layer:

• Change the state of the next button to disabled when the timeline starts if Slide_1 = False
      (This is a variable I created so once you have seen the page, you can advance without having to review it again if you navigated there in error)
    • Change the state of button 1 to Normal when the timeline ends on this slide
    • Add triggers to the buttons to jump to the correct layer when the user clicks the button
    • Change the state of the Next button to Normal when the state of all buttons are = Complete
    • Adjust the Slide_1 variable to True when the state of all button are = Complete

Add these triggers to Layer 1:

• Change the state of Button 1 to Complete when the timeline ends on this layer
    • Change the state of Button 2 to Normal when the timeline end on this layer IF the state of Button 2 is disabled (you don't want to have it change to normal if the corresponding layer has already been viewed).

Add these to layer 2 (and any others, except the final layer):

• Change the state of Button 2 to Complete when the timeline ends on this layer
    • Change the state of Button 3 to Normal when the timeline end on this layer IF the state of Button 3 is disabled

Add this to layer 3:

• Change the state of Button 3 to Complete when the timeline ends on this layer

On each layer I have a "Mask". It is a shape with a solid fill and set to 100% transparency. It ends in the timeline before the layer timeline ends. So if the duration of the layer timeline is 5 seconds, it ends at 4.75 seconds. This prevents users from clicking the other buttons before I want them to.

NOTE: A shape with no fill will not work, it is hollow. A shape with a solid fill but 100% transparency is still a shape with a solid fill.

You can see how it all works and the triggers in the attached file.

MariePawlowski
      Community Member

Thank you very much! Using the custom state of Complete did the trick for me.