Forum Discussion

JENNIFERSORENSO
Community Member
3 days ago

Hide Next button in Storyline until certain point

Hi all,

I have a unique experience I am trying to solve. I created 4 Rise courses in different languages that I am adding as separate slides in Storyline as web objects. The first slide directs the learner to pick their language.  Then the learner is directed to the Rise course (web object) of their language choice. I want the Next button hidden in Storyline until they complete the quiz in the Rise course (web object). I did adjust it to restricted in the player but it doesn't seem to understand when the timeline is ended. Any ideas?

PS.  I am doing this crazy roundabout because this course is going into Workday and one lesson is required so I couldn't put this in as 4 separate lessons. 

• Hi JENNIFERSORENSO Storyline and WebObjects do not communicate with each other in Storyline. A WebObject is a method of loading external assets into Storyline. Storyline would have no way of knowing the kind of content that is imported, and therefore can't help in hooking up communication between the two.

It would be possible to provide that interface, but it will require a JavaScript programmer to develop a solution that would 1) Capture your Rise completion requirement, 2) Send this completion to the Storyline file.

Also, I just want to flag that by hosting a Rise course within a WebObject in Storyline will completely break the "responsive" design of Rise. It will no longer be mobile compatible. The way Storyline works is by scaling content and not adapting to a screen size/shape. You would have a better end user experience just building the content in Storyline as you'd be able to optimise for each slide. I would lean towards having the storyline module open the Rise content into a new browser window, so that it at least remains responsive.

With your current structure (4 Rise modules) you are not going to be able to track the completion of those individually without significant custom programming.

If tracking the completion of the individual Rise modules is important to you, and they need to be grouped by you into a single SCORM package, you either need to re-build in Storyline alone, or work with a programmer to implement tracking between Rise and Storyline.

LMS Solution: I'm not familiar with Workday, but in my experience of working with LMS, there is generally a way of grouping a collection of individual SCORM modules (in your case Rise) into a single offering on the system.