Forum Discussion

MichaelWest
Community Member
3 months ago

I can't seem to get the trigger 'When the state [BUTTON A] is Visited' to work.

I have a layer where I want the state of a hidden "continue" button to change to "normal" when all of the buttons on the layer have been visited.

I have the trigger set as "Change the state of 'CONTINUE' to Normal when the state of all buttons is Visited."

I can't get this trigger to work if it's on a layer of another slide, but it does work if the content is on its own slide. Any idea what might cause that?

I've attached a mini-version of what I'm talking about.

• As Andrew stated, if you want to change the state of the continue button based on an activity that happens on the other slide (like visited state change) you need to use a T/F variable. 

You don't necessarily need to have a T/F variable for each visited object. You could have a single variable that changes when the states of all those objects are visited. Then when you go to the other slide, you can change the state of the continue button when the timeline of the slide starts on the condition of the T/F variable.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Michael, I'm.not at my computer so can't try out your story file.

However,  in your description you say that it doesn't work if the content is on a separate slide.

That's true. States can only be interrogated by triggers if they are on that actual slide (or layers within the slide)

If you need to do this sort of state change based on buttonsnwhich are on another slide, then you'll want to use some T/F variables.

Does that help at all?

MichaelWest
      Community Member

That's the thing. These are objects on self-contained layer. Objects on the base layer of the slide are hidden from the other layers.

• I'll also add, if you explaine dmore abnout exactly what you want to do, that may help inform a better solution.

For example, I'm curious about why they get from one slide to another to visit buttons and then why they come back to the other slide to unlock the continue button. 

MichaelWest
      Community Member

Fair question, Tom.

I'm in sales training, and I am creating an e-learning module for our field reps that will introduce them how to use our discovery form for when they're meeting with potential clients for the first time. This form comprises 4 separate sections, and one of these sections, the one I'm working on now, has 9 separate products for which they need to understand what initial questions to ask, what follow-up questions that might ask, and how to position the product.

It's a lot, I know.

I wanted to break it up into 9 smaller modules, but my SME doesn't seem to want that. (Of course, they don't.) So, I'm using a primary menu (the base layer of that one slide in my example) with a button for each product. Each button will direct them to another layer with the details for that product.

I might try and just use separate slides instead, as that seems to be the easiest way. I'm just trying to save a little real estate on the screen. 

However, I'm also hoping that, when the SME sees the final result, they will come around to the idea of 9 separate modules.

We'll see....

MichaelWest
    Community Member

I may have misspoke. The interactive content is on a slide layer and I'm trying to get the trigger to work on the objects on that layer.

I can do it with variables, but it seems like it'd be much easier to do by just using the "Visited" state as the trigger.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Ah OK Michael, I understand now, so these things are actually all on one slide. This should definitely be possible, but I'm suspecting that given the amount of content you're squeezing in to one slide, that's where the complications are lying.

I'm sure we can make this work though. I'm.heading to the office soon and will have a quick look at your story file in the next 20 mins.

P.s. this made me chuckle... "my SME doesn't seem to want that. (Of course, they don't.)" LOL. Classic SME behaviour ;)

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Here you go Michael, try this...

After looking at your Storyline file, it was pretty good, but one thing I might advise - always use Layers for content like this; dont use States.

States are notorious for just becoming hard to manage and cumbersome - they are more for creating visual changes to single assets, and not for holding chunks of additional content (IMHO)

Let me know if that is getting close to what you need.

MichaelWest
      Community Member

Yeah, that's exactly what I need. I tend to use layers for these types of things most of the time, but I thought I'd see if there was a different way of doing it. Looks like layers is where it's at.

Thanks!

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Excellent! :)

Yeah, Im going to vote Layers every time on stuff like this.

Good luck with that SME ;)

MichaelWest
    Community Member

Yeah...I was just being stubborn. I wanted to make those states work, doggone it.

Thanks everyone for the help.