Forum Discussion

TeenaHam
Community Member
3 months ago

I'm having difficulty with layers and accessibility and would like some help please.

The storyline course I have created has slides with and without additional layers. I've gone through the focus order and deleted all the images and set the order for the slides without layers. My issue is I don't know what to do with the ones with additional layers so that those with screen readers would be able to tab through them. When I selected the "hide base layer" in the layer properties, it seemed like it skipped all tabbed content. I think I have just looked at articles and made so many changes that I have confused myself. I would appreciate some guidance on this. Maybe I'm way off track.

• Hello Teena, 

There's quite a lot to unpack here, so I'd like to ask a few questions to help clarify your requirements: 

1. Can I ask why you needed to delete the images from your focus order list? Were the images decorative, which was why you didn't want to include them in the order?
    2.  For the slides with additional layers, can I ask what issues are you having when any of the layers are being shown? Here's a quick recording of me tabbing through the items in your base layer and its additional layers (Slide 1.4). I can confirm that the tabbing followed the focus order you defined for the slide.

When the base layer is hidden, its contents are also hidden from the tab order but you should still be able to tab through the contents of the active layer.

If you need help with designing accessible content, here's a great reference article to help you get started:

And this article explains what to expect when tabbing through the items:

Feel free to share a quick Peek 360 recording of the issues you're experiencing so we'll have a better idea of what's happening. 

Looking forward to your response!

TeenaHam
      Community Member

            
      Jose, thanks for your help! It was a lot wasn't it? LOL.

Can I ask why you needed to delete the images from your focus order list? Were the images decorative, which was why you didn't want to include them in the order?
      The images were decorative and requested by the client.
      For the slides with additional layers, can I ask what issues are you having when any of the layers are being shown?
      I appreciate your screen recording. I was using NVDA to check the tab order, and it seemed that it was still running through the items on the base layer too, but that was probably before I changed it to not show items on the base layer. Like I said, I looked at so many articles, tried it so often, and made so many changes that I confused myself.
      Here's a quick recording of me tabbing through the items in your base layer and its additional layers (Slide 1.4). I can confirm that the tabbing followed the focus order you defined for the slide.

Thank you Very much!

Teena