Forum Discussion

MarnaKriel
Community Member
2 years ago

One course aimed at students, with facilitator tips only visible to the facilitator.

Hi,

I was recently asked by someone if it is possible to have one course where the facilitator can access notes that students cannot?

In other words, the course is developed for the student, but there are extra notes and tips which only the facilitator can view.

This applies to both Rise and Storyline. I would simply want to know if it is possible, and if yes, which platform can host this option?

Thank you in advance.

• It is possible in Storyline.

• Add a trigger to adjust a T/F variable to True via a key-press combo that only a facilitator would know. Or add a small hotspot somewhere on the title slide that would adjust the variable to True when clicked. (For example, put a circle hotspot within an "o" in the title. There's not much chance of a student noticing that small space is clickable.) 
    • Give the facilitator notes an initial state of Hidden.
    • Add triggers where needed that change the facilitator notes to Normal with the condition that the variable is True.

This works with text boxes, shapes, etc. within the slide area. It's not possible to turn Player-level items (such as the Notes panel) on and off based on a variable. Well, not without the use of JavaScript anyway.

BWoods
      Former Staff

Judy, this is one of the many reasons we're so happy to have you in this community. That's a very clever solution for making this work in Storyline!

Marna: While there's not a way to use the technique Judy mentioned in Rise 360, there is another option if you don't mind having the course exist as two separate files Basically, you make a student version of the course and then a facilitator one.

• Build the student version of the course
      • On your Rise 360 dashboard, duplicate your course (you may also want to adjust the title so you'll know it's the facilitator version)
      • Add in the extra notes and tips to this new version of the course. Since Rise 360 lessons are made of blocks you can move around, adding in more content takes no time at all and your layout will simply adjust beautifully to your additions.
      • Share this new version with just your facilitators.
    MarnaKriel
    Community Member

Thank you so much, Judy and Bianca!

@Bianca, I truly appreciate your advice. I thought about the method with Rise 360, having two versions. But I wanted to make sure that I am not missing some hidden gem button that can create an extra lecturer button or block.

@Judy, your advice I will defiantly apply, your advice is invaluable. I am the only one on my team using Storyline. I want to learn Java Script, just for the extra functionality it gives. And hopefully, open more doors.

Thank you again to both of you!