Forum Discussion

CristinaGarca-a
Community Member
4 months ago

Problem with Menu States

Hi there,

I have a problem with states which is probably something very easy to solve but I am not able to find whre the problem is.

I have designed a menu which has 3 buttoms (the first one starts as "Normal" when timeline starts and the rest has a "Unactivated" inicial state), but I also added a "visited" state.

I have also created variables to activate/unactivate buttoms (epigraphs) of the menu when an specific slides's timeline ends.

The navigation and the restrictions I made for the menu are working properly, however everytime I return to the menu, buttoms get a "normal" state but not a "visited" state

The triggers I have are the following ones in this order:

• Change the state X as Normal, when timelines of this slide starts if variableX =True
    (I have this variable for each buttom of the Menu)
  • Jump to slide X when user clicks on buttom X if state of X = Normal
    (this one for each buttom )
  • Change state of buttom X as Visited when user clic on buttom X

Any idea of what could be wrong? 

Thank you!

• Visited is a built-in state. Any object with a Visited state will automatically change to Visited when it is clicked. Adding a trigger that duplicates that action usually causes problems

I assume that your first trigger is supposed to change an inactivated (that is, Disabled) button to Normal after the user completes the previous section. However, this trigger will run every time the user returns to the slide. So even though a button may have been changed to another state, this trigger will change it back to Normal. 

• To prevent changing the button back to Normal, add another trigger that checks whether the corresponding section has been completed. So it would look something like this: 

That example comes from the download available in this post about creating a locked custom menu: Storyline 360: Custom Locked Menu - Downloads - E-Learning Heroes (articulate.com)