Forum Discussion

JohnWilliams-41
Community Member
4 months ago

Quiz Review and Grading Issue

I have a 100-question exam drawn randomly from a bank of 117 questions. The exam has a two-hour time limit.  In testing, I will set the time limit to 1 minute, answer the first ten questions correctly, and let the time run out to simulate someone not completing the exam in the allotted time. 

On the results slide, it scores me a 7 out of the 10 that I should be graded.  (100 - 90 = 10).  When I review the exam (I have it set now to review correct and incorrect questions) it starts on question 4 every time.  I have even started over with a totally new Results slide and get the same outcome.  This makes me think that something is wrong with the first three questions but I can't see how that is possible given that they are drawn randomly.

I have tried different settings and options many times and got the same result.  A seven.

Any ideas?  I can gladly pass the file along to those who want to look at it.  There is nothing proprietary in it.

• This is a totally new quiz that I made today.  The only things that I copied over from the old one that I was referring to in my original post were the password slide and the two instruction slides.  Everything else is new and this new one is still starting on question number four.

• No matter whether you have 5 questions or 100, the outcome will be identical. The reason it starts from question number 4 is due to the reference to the Scene.SlideNumber variable in the 'Draw from Question Bank' slide. In your file, the 'Draw from Question Bank' slide is located at position number 4. If you delete one slide before that, the questions will consistently start from number 3 and so on. Once on the 'Draw from Questions Bank' slide, Storyline treats it as a separate scene, incrementing the  Scene.SlideNumber variable by one as you progress. You should create a variable to keep track of the number of questions. For example, create a variable named "QuestionCounter" and set it to 0. Add a trigger on the Master Question slide to increase "QuestionCounter" by 1 when the timeline starts on this slide. On the Result slide, set "QuestionCounter" to 0 when the timeline starts on this slide.

JohnWilliams-41
      Community Member

Thanks!  That makes total sense now.  Storyline is counting the password slide and the two instruction slides as "quiz slides" and therefore not scoring them since they aren't actually question slides.

One follow-up question:  The "Master Slide" you referred to where I should add the trigger... which one is that?  I don't see a slide labeled that anywhere in my quiz.

• Sorry for the delay. If you right-click on your question slide and hover over the 'Apply Layout' tab, you will notice that your Master Slide used for questions is named 'Framed' with the layout 'Question'. To access it, navigate to 'Slide Master' (click the 'View' tab on the top toolbar and select 'Slide Master'). Locate the Master slide named 'Framed' and the 'Question' layout. Then, add your triggers accordingly.

In Slide Master:

• Thanks for that!  I actually solved the issue by creating a new scene with just the question draw and results slide.  This had the effect of stopping the quiz from trying to count the first three slides.  I appreciate all of your help with this.