Forum Discussion

JeremyLippart
Community Member
3 months ago

Reattempt prompt in a hotspot quiz

I tried building a drag and drop quiz for some HR policy stuff but I couldn't get any immediate feedback to work correctly so I pivoted to a hotspot quiz where the user will click on Approved or Not Approved for a given scenario. This works fine but....I want a prompt to tell the user to make sure they select one of the two categories if they click outside of the 2 hotspots. 

The trigger I used is "Show Layer "Try Again" when user clicks outside Hotspot 1 or Hotspot 2". In practice the Try Again layer is showing whenever the user clicks outside of the hotspots and/or the incorrect hotspot. Any suggestions on how to resolve this so a distinct message shows when users click outside of the targets. I've attached an example slide from the module

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hey Jeremy, yeah I've not had much luck with that "clicks outside" trigger either.

This should work though...

Just create a rectangle over the entire screen, make it 99% transparent (yeah, 99) then add a trigger to it:

Show layer Try Again when user clicks rectangle.

Now all you have to do is make sure this rectangle is beneath your hotspots, and Bob's your uncle - it works! :)

• Thanks, that's what I was just experimenting with -  having a slide-size hotspot layered below the targets, it seems to work it is just a tad annoying

• So now I think I've broken this interaction in a new way, missing the target displays the  response I'd like. But now I can't get the correct response to show when user answers correctly (in this case not approved). Any troubleshooting tips?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Dont worry Jeremy, we all end up breaking things worse before we get the solution! ;)

I fixed your slide for you. I think the problem was mainly around the "Feedback" setting, which you still had "By Question".

Changing it to "By Choice" gives you more control over what you want, and you dont even need a "Miss" hotspot. Just create your two actual hotspots, and Storyline handles the "miss" part for you.

See the attached file (and apologies for the feedback messages, but come on, we have to find some fun in these things!! haha :P )

• thanks for the assist - how the actual feedback works when selecting By Question or By Choice is a bit unclear so I definitely appreciate the guidance

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Jeremy!

Glad to see Andrew has been helping you!

I noticed you've also opened a support case being handled by my colleague, Janina. It looks like Janina replied to your e-mail sharing input on your design. We can continue the conversation through your case to keep all information in one spot.