Forum Discussion

VeronicaThompso
Community Member
3 months ago

Results Slide Scoring Incorrectly - For Pick Many Questions

Hello all, I'm hoping for some support on a Quiz interaction I've built. 

I have a 10 question quiz that includes:

• 3 multiple choice, single answer questions
  • 7 pick many, multi-answer questions
  • 1 Results slide

Questions are scored "1" point each for getting the answer correct. The total passing score for the quiz is 10 points (or 100% correct). 

Students have 2 attempts per question to get it right. Once they reach the Results slide, they can retake their incorrect questions as many times as they'd like until they reach 100%. 

I have two issues I can't seem to figure out: 

1. Incorrect Scoring for Pick Many Questions: For each of the 7 pick many questions, when a student selects all of the answer choices - regardless if this includes the incorrect answer choices - the Results slide calculates the questions as correct. It's not recognizing that incorrect selections were made along with the correct selections. This means a student can just select all answer choices for each question and still pass the quiz, even though this is not correct.
  2. Nice to Have - Only Show Incorrect Questions: Is there a way when students click the "Retry Incorrect Questions" button on the Results slide - that they only see the incorrect questions and do not have to filter through the correct ones as well? I figured out a workaround with variables that takes them to each slide, recognizes whether the question was answered correctly, and skips to the next slide. However, it's not the most elegant solution. You'll notice, for a split second, you see the correct slides show up before they are skipped over. I wasn't sure if there was a cleaner way of achieving this? 
  • Thanks for sharing your file . . .

Kudos for you for keeping up with all that you have here . . . You have a lot going on with these questions. . .  Multiple triggers and Layers for each question increases the complexity of this design.

I think simplifying your build would help a lot.  The check box option can be expanded to hold text which would allow you to get rid of the extra text boxes and several of the set state triggers. It feels like all of the additional triggers are competing with what the quizzing function is trying to do.  Using show layer triggers instead of the Submit interaction trigger is sometimes/always tricky.

The fact that the "Submit Interaction" trigger is not used, may also be why the option to reset only incorrect questions is not working, either.  Storyline probably does not know what questions were right or wrong based on the triggering on the individual questions.

VeronicaThompso
      Community Member

Hi Ron, thank you SO much! That helped! I did two things: 1) I added the submit interaction trigger to each question slide, and 2) I did a question-by-question test and found out that one of the questions was corrupted, so I recreated that one slide. Walla! everything worked great! Thank you so much for the guidance!

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

HI Veronica,

Wow! You have really worked hard at this. It looks great.

However... I think you have made loads of extra work for yourself, because you have pretty much made all the interactions yourself and taken away all of Storyline's own built in mechanics.

Thats why you have had to create so many layers and a huge number of triggers in order to try to handle all the permutations and possibilities with each Pick Many question.

The main problem here is that from what I can see, you never actually "Submit Interaction" which means your score is not properly passed to the <upstander_quiz1.ScorePoints> Results slide and variables.

So, to fix that, you just need a "submit interactions" trigger - usually this is on the Submit button by default.

Secondly, you asked for a "only show incorrect answers" during a Review. Thats a built in function within Storyline. If you pop a little REVIEW QUIZ button, then this trigger should be created for you, and you can double click the trigger to select the "only show incorrect answers" option.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

VeronicaThompso
      Community Member

Hi Andrew, I truly appreciate your breakdown. It truly helped! I did two things: 1) I added the submit interaction trigger to each question slide, and 2) I did a question-by-question test and found out that one of the questions was corrupted, so I recreated that one slide. Walla! everything worked great! Thank you so much again.