Forum Discussion

Vic
Community Member
4 days ago

Screen reader reading 'button' when state is hidden from accessibility tools

Hi I'm working on an interaction where I would like the buttons to animate along a motion path, show a layer, and then be hidden after they are clicked.

When keyboard and screen reader testing:

• If I set the button state to hidden after clicking, this causes the screen reader to jump to either the start or the end of the slide focus order once the triggered layer is closed. It seems to be random which of these it does. The same thing happens if there  is any sort of motion path on the button - whether the motion path is used or not.
  • Removing animation from the situation, if I create an invisible state for the button where "object is visible to accessibility tools" is unchecked, it is still accessible with the keyboard and the screen reader still reads "button".
  • If I remove everything from the state instead of just making it transparent, I can still access with the keyboard and the screen reader reads the full alt text for the normal state.

Is this expected behaviour? If so, is there any way to bypass it?

I can't share my project file.

Vic
    Community Member

I can't seem to edit my post but the screen reader also jumps to the start or end of the focus order when the state of the button is set to disabled and the layer is closed.

Also, it is sometimes reading a button that is set to 'Hidden'. This seems to happen when the button has hidden as its default state and there is a trigger to "jump to this slide". The slide is set to return to initial state and for the most part it does this including visibly hiding the button. The screen reader picks up the hidden button though.

• Hello Vic ,

Thanks for reaching out!

The behavior you described is definitely not expected. Since you're unable to share a copy of your project file with us, I went ahead and opened a support case on your behalf to connect you with our support team. I can see that my colleague Ian has already reached out to you. You're in good hands, and we'll continue the conversation there!