Forum Discussion

EvanBahoric-c2f
Community Member
2 months ago

Text Entry Issues

Wondering if anyone else is seeing the following issues with text entry fields:

•  It seems to ignore the padding I've set for the text entry field in the attached video. I can adjust the vertical alignment, and then it will account for the top padding, but when top alignment is selected, Storyline seems to just ignore this value.
  • Is it intentional for text entry fields to not allow the user to highlight text, or more importantly use the cursor to adjust the point of text entry?
    AaronPross
    Community Member

Just to confirm, are you entering text into the rectangle "shape", or have you added a text box on top of the shape?

• The only object is the text entry field. I believe placing a text entry field with no fill could solve the first issue I'm having, but the larger issue is definitely the user not being able to adjust the text entry point. If they make a mistake while typing and don't notice it until later on, they have to hold the back space key until they reach the mistake and fix it. Not very ideal.

AaronPross
    Community Member

I think you found a bug. I was able to duplicate the issues you called out. The only temporary solution I can think of is to move your text field down so you get the spacing you are after.

EricSantos
      Staff

Hi Evan,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm glad Aaron is already helping you out here.

I also ran some tests and can confirm your findings. When I set the text-entry top margin, for example, to 30px, this change does not reflect when the slide is previewed. Our product team is aware of this issue, and I've added your name to the bug report. We'll update this discussion if there are any changes that might help.

Regarding the other behavior you've reported. I can control the text-entry cursor when entering data using the left or right arrow keys and left-clicking on the mouse. Let me know if this will also work for you. If not, can you try creating a new Storyline project with a text-entry field and see if the problem will also happen there?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

ElisabethH
    Community Member

I'm having a different bug occur with text boxes today. When pasting a text box, if I delete the text inside and click off it, SL deletes it. If I click undo, the box doesn't show. It's like I never pasted the box to begin with. I've reported this bug.

Lots of bugs today!

EricSantos
      Staff

Hi E-Learning Person,

Thanks for reaching out! It was a good call to open a support case as well. I see that my colleague, Christian, helped confirm that the behavior is expected for textboxes.

He also recommended workarounds to mitigate any inconvenience, such as changing the format and using shapes instead. We'll continue the conversation in your support case, but I'm happy to assist further as needed.