Forum Discussion

DariannKobe
Community Member
2 months ago

Unexpected Timeline Audio Issues

We are hearing about some unexpected timeline behavior in our modules from our learners.  They seem related, even though there is somewhat opposite presentations of the issue.  Our courses are built in Articulate Storyline 360, we have the settings within our scorms to require the learner to watch the whole slide before allowing them to click on the next button.  The learners are reporting that the timeline stops progressing but the audio or the video still continues to run.  Then they are left with a long period of time to wait before the timeline catches up and allows them to continue.  We just started hearing about this in the past week or two.  I would expect that the module would either stop playing completely if it was running in the background, or it would continue playing correctly if it was running in the background, but not a little of both.  I can replicate this on my end, to some extent, if I try to play the module in the background.  For instance, if I start it in one browser tab and open another tab within that same instance of the browser the timeline stops progressing until I return to the tab that the module is in.  But the timeline progresses as I would expect if I have a second instance of the browser open and am working in that second instance of the browser as long as the window that the module is playing in is visible on the screen in the first browser instance. They are reporting that the timeline isn’t progressing as it should even if they keep the module open, front and center, and the only thing running.  This particular customer was able to see a more predictable behavior when he switched to his home computer that didn’t have a VPN or a web proxy. Another user reported that they noticed on a couple instances that audio stops completely while the video progress continues.They can replicate it on Chrome by running the video as per normal, clicking off tab, and then returning to the video. I cannot replicate this behavior of the audio and video getting out of sync. They report that the issue clears up if you go to the previous section and go back and resume where they left off.

VictoriaBeale
    Community Member

We are having the same issue Dariann mentioned in the post above.  

"The learners are reporting that the timeline stops progressing but the audio or the video still continues to run.  Then they are left with a long period of time to wait before the timeline catches up and allows them to continue."

Was there a resolution to this concern?  

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi VictoriaBeale!

Sorry to hear you've also run into this behavior!

It would be helpful to know how your learners were viewing the course when they experienced this issue. Through an LMS? Also, if you're comfortable sharing the .story file, we'd be happy to take a closer look and test it on our end. Feel free to attach a copy here in the discussion or privately through a support case.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Hi Dariann!

Thank you for reaching out and sharing this strange behavior with us! Is this course uploaded to an LMS? Do you know if the behavior is the same outside of an LMS?

It would be helpful if we could test it out on our end. Is there a way that you could share the .story file with us? You can share it in this discussion or privately in a support case. 

KaraSmith-c4e5d
      Community Member

Hello! I am responding for myself and my colleague Victoria Beale. After troubleshooting for some time, we realized that instead of changing the state of the next button to "normal" when the "timeline ends," we needed to set the next button to "normal" when the "media completes" (with the media being the audio). The course is in an LMS and with the change works beautifully. Thanks!

VernicaFlores
    Community Member

I have the same problem. The course is loaded in an LMS, and outside the LMS it's the same. Any solution?

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello VernicaFlores,

Happy to test this for you!

Since the behavior might be file-specific, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or privately by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!