Forum Discussion

DarinFennell
Community Member
29 days ago

Unrestrict single slide

I have chosen to restrict my menu, but wanted to un-restrict a single slide if the user skips that slide. Is that possible to do? If so, how?

Storyline 360

Windows 11

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Im not sure I understand you completely, but if you just want your Learner to be able to skip one slide, then just add a trigger to allow the NEXT button to be clicked from the very start of that slides timeline...

"Change STATE of Next Button to NORMAL when timeline starts on this slide"

DarinFennell
    Community Member

When you restrict the menu, it does not allow you to skip ahead. Once you have completed a slide, it changes to unrestricted. In my case, I have a branch that says the user can go to the navigation slide, or skip it and go to the main module content. If they skip the navigation slide, they can't go back to it because it is locked. Thus my question, can you unrestrict that slide so you can go back to it.

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

It was in this Quick Tips webinars that Ginger Swart demonstrated how to quickly "unrestrict" slides: https://training.articulate.com/webinars/quick-tips-and-tricks-episode-91#t=35 

Basically, it's done by having triggers that jump to the next slide when the timeline starts, with the condition that a certain variable is True. Those triggers are on all the slides, and the result is that the user coan click any of the slides in the Menu. At the appropriate point, the variable is changed back to False, which allows the user to stay on each revisited slide as desired.

Perhaps you could use something like that. Yes, there may be a brief flash as the program jumps to the "navigation slide" and then immediately jumps to the "main navigation content." But at least it would allow users to go back to the navigation slide if they want to.

DarinFennell
        Community Member

Judy,

Thanks for the link. The whole idea of links and variables was something my team was looking at. One idea was to have a link that shows up in the player (next to Resources). Another idea was to place the skipped content in another scene. As the video mentioned, there are usually multiple ways to accomplish a task. Thanks again!

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Ah!... so you want to make one slide unrestricted even if the user hasnt gone there.

Unfortunately there isnt a way to do this within Storyline, but maybe someone smart with HTML coding might be able to assist in that one..