Forum Discussion

PaulColby
Community Member
6 years ago

Web Objects blurry, especially text

Hello. I have created a Web Object in Animate CC and inserted into Storyline. Outside of Storyline, the Web Object looks great, even zoomed in (see attachment AnimateCCWebObject_OutsideStoryline-SHARP.jpg). When I import that same Web Object into Storyline, the quality decreases noticeably (see attachment AnimateCCWebObject_InsideStoryline_-BLURRY.jpg).

Yes, I am scaling my Player size to "fill browser window," but even changing that option to "Lock player at optimal size" does not help all that much.

Why is the quality decreasing so much? Is Storyline bitmapping the text and vector images, rather than just playing the Web Object as is? What can I do to improve the quality (please don't say change my Player setting to "Lock player at optimal size, we all know that's not practical)? I am forced to use Animate CC created Web Objects to work around Storyline limitations, unfortunately, so the drop in quality is really a bummer.

Thanks for any info you have about this issue. I assume that others are affected also.

EricDumas
    Community Member

Hi,

I am not sure how this helps, but I have a similar issue.

I attach the .story file. I want to allow learners to navigate this view to look for answers.

I find the result on the slide much poorer than the web browser original. I published the experience in different LMS and used different browsers. Every combination returned the same blurry result. 

kelk
    Community Member

I'm also having this issue with blurry results in a web object. In my case, it's .PDFs. Trying to work with Lisa's solution above, but haven't had any luck yet.

LisaJones-20cfa
      Community Member

Hi Kel,
      I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I updated this a couple of months ago to resolve resizing of the object with the browser.
      I initiate jQuery (as a failsafe) on the slide when timeline starts, then I set this to start at .25 seconds (to ensure it's loaded). Again - not ideal by any measure - but I guess better than webobjects that look like an amateur overcompressed them :).

var initStage=$('#slide').width();
      var initObjWidth=$('.slide-object-webobject').width();
      var initObjHeight=$('.slide-object-webobject').height();
      var webObjWidth=(initObjWidth);
      var webObjHeight=(initObjHeight);
      $('.slide-object-webobject').css({width: webObjWidth, height: webObjHeight}); 
      $('.webobject').css({width: webObjWidth, height: webObjHeight, transform:'' }); 

$(window).resize(resizeInteraction);

function resizeInteraction(){
      var stageWidth=$('#slide').width();
      scale=((stageWidth-initStage)/initStage+1);
      var webObjWidth=(initObjWidth*scale);
      var webObjHeight=(initObjHeight*scale);
      $('.slide-object-webobject').css({width: webObjWidth, height: webObjHeight}); 
      $('.webobject').css({width: webObjWidth, height: webObjHeight, transform:'' }); 
      }

I mentioned before this could be written in pure javascript (safer), but I keep hoping there will be a native solution. Perhaps your issue will give this a little bump and their devs can look to see what I'm doing here - which is to scale using more precise values since the percentage method doesn't seem to get precise enough (I want to say it rounds or something) and if something is just like one pixel off from "perfect" from original, images can look blurry (I run into this in regular images as well, actually - it's especially evident on system screens - they never look as clear as the original).

Fingers crossed that helps or at least points you in a direction to a fix.

Best,
      Lisa

Jürgen_Schoene_
        Community Member
        <style>
          .webobject {
            width: 100% !important;
             height: 100% !important;

transform: none !important;
         }
        </style>

integrated at the end of story.html, index_lms.html should do the same result without javascript

example - trackable vimeo video player in web object

before:

after:

=> interface of the videoplayer has a fixed size

before:

after:

PraktiKant
    Community Member

Hello, I am experiencing still the same problem. Highly reduced quality and blury text after insterting it in Storyline 360 - latest update. Is there any solution so far?

Jürgen_Schoene_
      Community Member

the problem is the scaling with css transform of an iframe, that triggers the blurred text

add this small javascript on the slide with your web object

if( window.cssPatchWebObject !== "done") {
      style = document.createElement('style');
      style.textContent = `
      .webobject {
      width: 100% !important;
      height: 100% !important;
      transform: none !important;
      };`

document.body.appendChild(style);
      window.cssPatchWebObject = "done";
      }

now the web object is not scaled anymore - the text is sharp

PraktiKant
        Community Member

Thank you very much. I will try it out. 

• Hi Prakti,

Sorry to hear you're also having issues with blurry text in Storyline Web objects. We're still looking for a fix, but since you are now subscribed to this discussion, we'll notify you once it is available.

In the meantime, would you be willing to share a copy of your Storyline file here or privately through a support case so we can make recommendations? We'll delete it when we're done testing! 

• Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we have released Storyline 360 version 78 (Build 3.78.30680.0)!

Included in this release is the fix for the bug: HTML5: Web Objects With Images Are Blurry.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Have a great day!

DarrellLagace-3
      Community Member

This didn't fix it for me. I even deleted the existing thumb pictures (from before I updated) and reuploaded (after updating).

My images (with text) were created in Adobe Illustrator plenty big enough and exported as a png. They are fine when uploaded to the slide as a picture, just not as a slider thumb.

I can see that the picture is automatically being resized to small, making me have to enlarge it manually (which is where the resolution loss is coming from). 

Are there any other ideas?

JessicaAtterton
      Community Member

Hi, I have checked an I am using the latest Storyline version as of March 2024. But I am still finding when adding an online pdf via a url link that the text is still showing as blurry. any other tips on how to fix this?

• Hi Darrell,

Welcome to the E-Learning Heroes Community! 🎉

I'm happy to chime in! I tried using a picture as a slider thumb image, and it was scaled correctly—no need to resize, as shown below:If you're already using the latest Storyline version, it would be helpful to see the Storyline file and the images to understand why they are blurry when used as slider thumb images. Do you mind attaching your project and the images to this discussion or privately in a support case? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

NadiaField-bb4c
      Community Member

Thanks Jürgen. De-selecting "scale with slide" sorts out the quality issue. However, now I've lost the bottom half of my PDF scroll bar as seen here:
      https://360.articulate.com/review/content/ef12a725-4850-4ee5-bfdb-5b6757e0837e/review.

I've uploaded my .story file so that you can see what I've done. Slide 1.1 is my output slide. Slides 1.2 and 1.3 explain the process I used to embed the PDF and the html code. I don't know if there's an easier way?

Thanks very much for your help! 

Jürgen_Schoene_
        Community Member

your index.html is very strange - here is a much simpler version of the file

<!DOCTYPE html>
        <html lang="en">
        <head>
        <style>
        object {
        position: absolute;
        left: 0;
        top: 0;
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        }
        </style>
        </head>
        <body>
        <object data="CompletedPESTLE.pdf#view=fitH" type="application/pdf"></object>
        </body>
        </html>

(the pdf not integrated with an iframe, but with a html object tag)

• Hi Jürgen, I wanted to thank you for your help in this thread.

Both the index.html file and JavaScript worked a treat!

Thank you 😀