Videos are not playing in Articulate Review

Nov 15, 2017

My videos play fine when I publish them in Articulate Storyline but when I publish in Articulate Review the videos do not play and stay on the opening screen of the video. This is happening with all of my videos and no just one. These videos are MP4s.

25 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Roline!

When you view a course with a MP4 video set to open in a new browser window in Internet Explorer, you might see a message that says "Do you want to open or save the video?"

For example, open this Review 360 link in Internet Explorer, and click on the video. Do you see the same error I've shown in the screenshot above?

Katie Riggio

Hello Jen,

Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you're getting the message, "Do you want to open or save the video?" in Chrome but not in Edge, is that right?

I tested Alyssa's Review 360 URL in Chrome 84 with these settings enabled:

When clicking on the MP4 video, it opens in a new browser window without any messages. Check out this quick video of the test.

What version of Chrome are you using? Also, could you share a screenshot of your download settings? Here's how to find this area.

Jen McIntosh

No, I'm having the issue that the OP is having, not Roline. Roline was trying to open in a new browser window, which apparently prompts the open/save dialog. I'm not trying to open in a new window, nor do I believe is the OP, so no open/save dialog. We just want the video to play normally in the current Review window.

I'm using Version 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Katie Riggio

Good morning, Jen!

Thank you for those extra clues. To help us find the culprit, could you let me know:

• What happens if you clear out Chrome's cache, or try Incognito mode? This will ensure that your device has the latest course content and that your browser isn't accessing outdated or invalid files.
  • If neither helps, are you comfortable with sharing a sample Review 360 link with me? Simply send it through this private link. I'll see how it looks in that version of Chrome and share our next steps from there!
Jen McIntosh

It's a brand new course that I'd just published for the first time and never watched before, so couldn't have cached anything. Went ahead and tried both clearing cache and playing in incognito anyway, same issue.

Honestly this is the first time I've had to develop in Storyline since maybe 2018...we've been using Rise since then. I just advised my SMEs to use Edge browser instead during the review process since it works fine. Unfortunately I can't share a sample due to privacy laws (this is pharma content). Sorry, I know that's totally not helpful for you guys to pinpoint any potential problems on your end.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Jen!

Have you tried publishing the course for the web to see if the audio plays outside of Review 360? 

Also, which version of Storyline are you using? I don't see any recent reports in our recent update for Storyline 360. We are currently on Storyline 360 Update 42 (Build 3.42.22691.0).

We're happy to troubleshoot this with you!

Jen McIntosh

Hi Lauren,

I'm using v3.42.22734.0 currently. I can go ahead and run the check for updates to get the version you mentioned.

Publishing to the web works in Chrome as well as IE 11. But now Edge isn't even loading the training at all, not just the mp4s (though both still run fine for Review 360). Note that I'm not using the brand new rebranded Edge version (can't seem to find where they hid the actual version number now). 

For all I know it's VPN related since I'm working from home during the pandemic, which means I'll just have to figure things out on my end. For instance, the publish to web doesn't work in Chrome when I'm disconnected from the VPN, but works fine when I am connected. Review 360 doesn't work regardless of VPN status.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Jen!

Thank you for those details! If you're comfortable, I'd like to have our Support Engineers to continue troubleshooting this with you. Their expertise will help us figure out what might be affecting videos from playing in Review 360. If that works for you, you can click this link to begin working with one of our Support Engineers!

Kristin Warehime

I am having a similar problem. I have one slide with links to 6 short videos, each on a separate layer. Now when user clicks the link, they are directed to the correct video but only the title screen shows (even though the bar indicates the video is playing) and the audio is always that of the same single video. (i.e., they click the "contractor" link and see the initial shot of the "contractor" video, but they hear the audio from the "farmer" video. Always the "farmer" audio regardless of which video is showing.) Earlier versions of the course worked fine--the videos played correctly. i cleared my cache. We use Chrome. I am using SL v3.44.23192.0 Thanks

Lauren Connelly

Hi Kristin!

I'm happy to help! I wonder if a quick setting change in the Layer Properties will do the trick.

Are the layers set to "Hide all other layers" and/or "Pause timeline on base layer?" If not, I'd make sure both the layers use these settings. 

If that doesn't do the trick, I'm happy to take a look at the project. You can share it in this discussion or upload it to us by using this secure upload link. We'll take a look and reply with our findings!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Tania, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to access your course. We had an outage that partially affected courses published to Review 360:

Republishing should do the trick here, but if you're still running into issues, connect with our support engineers, and they can take a closer look.

Kerri Crowley

Hi, everyone. I am having this very same issue. I have video narrations (small and short) on various slides. They play automatically without issue in Storyline 360. When I published the course to share for internal review in Review 360, they won't play at all. The rest of the timeline progresses normally. Just to be safe, I went back and manually added triggers to play media when the timeline starts... nada. Anybody have any clues on how to fix this? I am under a deadline for this project and it would be heartbreaking to have to start over. The videos give a human touch that audio-only doesn't provide.