Asset Naming Conventions Too Long

Jul 26, 2019

The Asset naming conventions in the SCORM content folder are too long, causing an error in Success Factors LMS. Why does RISE produce such long asset names and how can this be fixed without having to rename every file? 

25 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jesse!

Rise 360 gives media files a unique identifier in the name, which is required for locating the file at runtime. However, some of those file names look uncharacteristically long.

Do your original file names contain characters outside of the English alphabet, numbers, or dashes (-)? 

For example, do they contain accented characters or other symbols? These could cause longer file names. 

Joe DiDonato

Alyssa,

Could you clarify your response?  We're having a similar problem with 3 of our customers.  We do not include any non-English characters or symbols in our original files.  Once we've checked that, and the files names are still too long, what can we do?  Several customers are asking us for a string that's less than 75 characters, and it looks like the file name you're assigning is already 70 characters.  What have others done?

Crystal Horn

Hi, Joe. Could we have a closer look at your output? You can share it with us privately here, and we'll delete it when we're done troubleshooting.

In my output, I'm seeing around 16 characters being added to .jpg and .mp4 files, for example. I want to make sure we understand what type of assets of yours are getting encoded with additional characters, and if we have an issue we can reproduce and fix!

Joe DiDonato

Here you go. Attached.

Warm regards,

Joe DiDonato | 805.823.3552
Chief Of Staff | Baker Communications, Inc.
BCI celebrates 40 years of customer success in 2019!
World-class performance never happens by accident
www.BCICorp.com
Congratulations to our 2017, 2018 and 2019 Learning! 100 Award Winners…
Read the story of these inspiring results… then let’s get started on your next breakthrough!

Joe DiDonato

Attached.  Also 

Here is an example:

scormcontent\assets\dPforYlbExfJ7Uwp_transcoded-_SuzZavASg7A8dzg-m-01-02-20-20-customer-20-centric-20-value-20-hypothesis-00001.png

That is 131 characters. The bold part is 75 characters for perspective.  75 characters is what we're asking to stay under to use their in-house platform.

Crystal Horn

Thanks for that list, Joe! Those file names do look unusually long. It looks like you pulled that list from the lmsmanifest.xml file.

If you don't mind, you can privately share the entire zipped output from Rise 360 with us here so we can have a closer look. It would also be helpful to share an original asset file, like the customer centric value hypothesis file you highlighted. Reference this discussion to keep everything together -- We'll be happy to help!

Shadowscape, Inc.

Was this ever resolved? I am having issues as well with assets being given uncharacteristically long names when I publish my storyline courses making it very difficult to import it into my platform, which limits file names. I have had to go in and manually change the names of the assets and edit the javascript references. This is extraordinarily time consuming and is a problem that doesn't seem like it should be happening. 

Jeremy Jennings

I0s9dGPb6UOizWR0-3D_Wireframe_Construction

That is supposed to be "3D_Wireframe_Construction" without all of the jibberish.

Is this renaming files a feature by convention? It makes my life harder because I have to link to a separate directory and access files via HTML links because these unusual filenames make for a poor user experience. If there's a workaround or a way I can name my files differently please let me know. 

Kirsten Martindale

Help! This is apparently my issue as well, except I don't know what action to take. It's taken me a couple of weeks to get this far (discovering the issue). Can someone please help me know what to do so I can successfully upload my Rise modules into Success Factors? Example from Asset file attached. Thanks! 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Kirsten and Jeremy,

Sorry to hear about your experience with file names in Rise 360. We're working on improving this part of Rise 360!

If you are experiencing issues with your courses because of the length of the files included in the published output, don't hesitate to open a case with our support team here so we can take a look at how to address the behavior. 

Kirsten Martindale

I have had this issue and it’s always been a video file with a long name. I’ve shortened the original video title, replaced the offending video with the (same video new title) and uploaded. I’ve done it enough times that I now pay attention to the length of the title before I upload the first time.

Kirsten Martindale
770-710-6264

Balint Koller

Hello Kirsten, thank you for your quick and helpful response. For now at least, we're introducing the same workaround in our team, until such time that length (especially that of the auto-generated string in the name) won't matter anymore... I guess like every habit, paying attention to this is learnable. Cheers, Balint

Balint Koller

Sorry to hear that Nick and good idea to follow this thread. I'm sure Articulate is aware of this and we'll hear from them in due course. For now, though, we're stuck with having to give assets really short names. It's actually a bit tricky because they get so short as to be insufficiently descriptive of their content. Oh well. 

Balint Koller

Hi Jennifer - people with this same issue keep popping up and it's a number of different LMSs it seems. We are using the workaround of keeping our original asset file names super-short (e.g. 10 characters max), to allow for the auto-generated string to be added and for the entire file name to stay below 100 characters. It seems to be working but it does limit us in differentiating our assets internally properly. So we hope we can ditch this workaround some day.