Cursor jumping

Aug 10, 2017

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced their cursor "jumping" when using Rise?  I've been having an issue where I'll be typing and the cursor will suddenly jump to another position in the text or another section.

Thanks

57 Replies
Tanya Corlett

Hi Ashley,

I've had this problem too. Here are four examples:

1. Insert the cursor in front of a previously entered word and start typing and no data appears or insert cursor within a word to enter, for example a space, and nothing happens.
  2. In an interactive knowledge check block when going back to edit existing text in a question position cursor in one of the answers and start typing and the whole of the text vanishes. This got so bad recently that we took to copying all the existing text before attempting to modify so that we could paste it back in place if it vanished.
  3. Start modifying a heading in a text block, typically by adding character to the end of the last word in the heading and hey presto the cursor jumps to the beginning of the next line. And this continues to happen until we put a line break in the line that the cursor has jumped to.
  4. In an interactive knowledge check block when selecting the 'correct' answer as the question is first set up, that when previewed the question has lost the correct selection and now shows all answers as 'wrong'. But go back into edit mode, reset the correct answer, and now preview and from this point on the correct answer is remembered.

We've found that this is less likely to happen if we flick to Preview mode, and then return to edit mode every minute or so. 

Happens on a Dell Precision Workstation, Win 10, ver 1703 Build 15063.540 under Chrome Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), and the same on a Lenovo ThinkPad I7 under same software.

Network connection is typically 10Mbps or better.

Condition is erratic some days are worse than others it's almost as if the changes entered here are not being received as occasionally we get 'You are offline' message even though other devices in the office are communicating normally.

It's not a huge deal, just frustrating when it happens.

Regards,

Stan

Tanya Corlett

And, hey presto on returning to course building, here's an example. In the screen capture attached if you look at the third text line that is being entered you will see the cursor is in position behind a lower case 'e' at the beginning of the sentence. 

What I was typing was the word 'needs' at the end of the sentence, but on entering the second letter of the word - the letter 'e', the cursor suddenly jumped to the front of the sentence with the result you can see in the clip.

Weird or what?

Regards,

Stan

Tanya Corlett

And, now another strange thing.

In this clip, you will see that the first and the third choice options are identical. This occurred when I dragged the first choice down into the third position of the then five available choices. It didn't rearrange the list, it merely overwrote the third item with the first item.

Dell Precision Workstation, Win 10, ver 1703 Build 15063.540 under Chrome Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Regards,

Stan

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Stan and Suzanne,

Thanks for that information - could you try and capture this happening using a tool like Peek? You can upload that to Articulate Review and then share the link with me here?

I'm in Chrome (latest version is Version 60.0.3112.90 - and we support the latest version) and I don't see my cursor jumping around. It does select all the text when I first click in the course title - so if I started typing immediately it would wipe out the existing title. 

I tried the same steps you shared here Stan, and I still didn't see the cursor move from one location to another, so a video of it happening will be helpful for our team to test further! 

Tanya Corlett

Hi Ashley,

This morning, Saturday, it is not happening which now makes me wonder if it is something to do with network connectivity, so that 'round trip' editing is being interrupted. What I will do, when and if it occurs again, is to do a Peek recording so that we can explore it further.

In the meantime, all the best,

Stan

Tanya Corlett

Hi Ashley,

And a similar one from me. In this video I'm trying to type the word AZURE on the first line but the moment I get to the second letter the cursor jumps to the next line.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/1c0ae931-defe-40f5-88e8-b46d74653ea1/review

:)

One thing you will notice is that as I type on the first row the second and sometimes the third row are being highlighted, as if all three rows are regarded as one.

Regards,

Stan

Thanks all for the videos. I tested in a Button stack as that's what I saw in both your videos and I could replicate it randomly - I tried different buttons, amounts of text, etc. and it only happened sometimes. I'm going to get a few folks in our team to take a look at this, and I'll be back in touch as soon as I can.

Can you let me know if this is the only block type you're seeing it in? And confirm if you're only seeing it in Chrome (or if that's the only browser you've tested)? 

Tanya Corlett

Hi Ashley, if you look back at the comments I made 4 days ago you will see that I have had a few issues with knowledge blocks, particularly list items 2 and 4. I've seen it with the Edge browser too, but use Chrome on a day-to-day basis for other reasons. The only other clue I've got is that if you look at my peak video that at about the halfway mark you will see two or three lines all highlighted together as if they are linked in some strange way.

The problem might not occur for minutes, but once it begins the only way I've found to kill the problem is to go from edit to preview, or, insert a carriage return - then return the cursor to the intended position.

Regards,

Stan

Thanks Stan - I found another instance of the same issue reported to our team recently, and I've added this discussion to that report of a possible software bug. 

Depending on priority and risk, some bugs can be fixed quickly, while others take longer to resolve. Here's more information on how we identify and tackle bugs.

I’ll let you know as soon as we have an update on this issue. Thanks so much again for letting us know about this, and I’m sorry if it’s slowing you down.

Tanya Corlett

Hi Ashley,

We've found ways of getting by, for example, by saving headings and body text to the clipboard and in no way does this discourage us from using Rise.

Whilst I'm here I know that we are all interested in more quiz types for Rise but we've found a couple of ways of getting stuff done in the meantime. Here are a couple of examples:

We create a module in Rise and upload it to our LMS (Callidus Cloud) in SCORM 1.2 format. Within the Rise module we include some knowledge check blocks (BTW it would be nice to be able to randomise these as you would for quizzes).

We develop a quiz module in Quiz360 and upload it to our LMS (Callidus Cloud) in SCORM 1.2 format.

In our LMS we link them together so that you only get to the Quiz block once you've completed the Rise block.

We turn on scoring in our Quiz block as we are treating this part like an exam.

So we could have:

Rise
Quiz360
Rise
Quiz360

And that works for much of our stuff for the moment.

Best regards,
Stan
Stan Dormer, FCIIA |Director Education and Training

[cid:image003.png@01D20DC2.25111A20]
Mindgrove Ltd | Suite 12 | Station House | Central Way | Winwick Street | Warrington | WA2 7TT | United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1925 730 200 | Cell: +44 7957 357 168 | Fax: +44 1925 321 121 | Web: mindgrove.co.uk
Mindgrove Ltd, registered in Great Britain No. 04217018, Vat No. 778 8913 53

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient. They may not be disclosed to or used by or copied in any way by anyone other than the intended recipient. If this email is received in error, please notify us immediately by clicking "Reply" and delete the email. Please note that neither MIndGrove Ltd nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments. Disclaimer: The information contained in this electronic mail is private and confidential and is intended for the named recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, do not use, copy, distribute or disclose any part of this mail's contents or attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please let us know by replying to this message. Security Scanning has been performed on this e-mail and attachments prior to despatch. However, we always recommend that you pass all email through your own anti-virus processes prior to use.

Michael Fimian

Thought it was just me...

I've noticed that I'll be typing along, then the cursor jumps and my text ends up somewhere else on the screen.  Always at the leftmost point in the text block, a couple of lines above or a couple lines below...  I know I'm a lousy typist, but then realized that it wasn't happening in any other app other than Rise.

Not to fear, Michael - you're never alone in the E-Learning Heroes community! 

We've got this issue reported to our team, so we'll keep you posted here. If you reply in a discussion, that'll subscribe you to updates and you can also choose to subscribe without replying just by toggling that function at the top of a discussion:

Trainer Massage

I just put in a ticket and then noticed the discussion here. This issue has brought us to a grinding halt with our work in 3 seats, we have tried all variations of browsers without success. Thanks for getting on to this immediately Lucy, as it is very debilitating for us and happens in content blocks as well as prebuilt lessons.

I notice that it improves if you type very very slowly......

Sharon Lehman

I hadn't used Rise for about a month and jumped in last night to throw something together. I thought I was going mad! I found it virtually unusable so PLEASE FIX ASAP!! Great to see the work arounds above thanks (will keep me calm for the next 6 hours #deadline). It happened to me in the title screen text initially, but also within accordian text, etc.

Christine Hounsham

Just wanted to add another reported case.  I have been using Rise fairly regularly.  In my last course (app 3 weeks ago) no issues with the typing.  But yesterday/today, can't type anything directly into Rise (having to copy and paste from text editor).

I have found that the cursor jumps whenever I hit space, and also when touch typing.  I agree that if type very slow, it is a bit better.  

I also now have the issue that text override function has started (ie when try to insert/amend text, it types over existing character instead of inserting).

Thank you for looking at this as a high, high priority as it certainly is unworkable at present.