How to set PDF link as new tab and not download?

Apr 20, 2023

I have been able to upload PDFs and create a link to open as a new tab in the past, but having issues with this lately and the PDF automatically downloads. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Pinned Reply
12 Replies
Melinda Santos-Quant

I'm having the same issue! 

I have an online PDF Library that I've created in Rise, and I use the unique links that each uploaded PDF is assigned to hyperlink and embed these files into other courses.  As of today, anytime I add a new doc to my PDF Library, it no longer opens in a new window with a unique link, it just automatically downloads, and this is no bueno for me.

Did the settings in Rise recently change to have PDFs automatically download, as opposed to opening automatically in a new tab with a unique link?  If so, I need a way to turn it back into a link that opens in a new tab - otherwise I'll have issues with every course that I've hyperlinked these docs to.  Thank you.

@Karl Muller - I have my Chrome settings already set to open up PDFs in Chrome, and this is not the issue.  All of my older uploaded PDFs in Multimedia Attachment blocks are still working fine and opening as unique links in new tabs....However, any new docs I've uploaded from the last few days are no longer able to open in a new tab with unique links.

John Morgan

Hi Grace,

Thanks for checking in on this! I understand you are looking for an update on the issue you are having with PDFs. I see you've opened a support case and are working with Fannie May. You are in good hands! It looks like she emailed you a solution on April 25th. If you haven't seen the response, please check your spam folder. If you have any questions about the case, please respond within the case via email.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.