PDF filename changes when downloading from Rise

Aug 17, 2017

Hi there,

We have noticed that when downloading a pdf document (from the pdf multimedia block) the filename of the downloaded document is different than the filename of the document when it is in Rise.  See attachment for screenshots.  Is this supposed to happen?  If so, what is the rationale in changing the filename?  We would really appreciate it, if someone can shed some light on this for us.  Thank in advance and have a wonderful day!

Pinned Reply
104 Replies
Avanzo Learning

Hello, we have still the same problem with a course we have just published. The name of the PDF changes when we download it, before and after we upload it into the LMS. I mean that we see extra characters both in our web (Chrome and IE) and in our LMS output. How can we fix it?

We have deleted and created the block again several times but it doesn't work.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lucy Hall

Hi is there a solution for this, we have tried deleting the Pdf and adding it again and its still downloading the files from Rise with extra characters.  When I load the pdf to our LMS (Moodle) it downloads correctly with the correct naming convention however when downloading from Rise it adds the characters.

Dorrien Venables

Hi, this thread is over 3 years old now. I have just tested now that when launching a course with a pdf attachment, that when opening a PDF in a new window, this problem still persists where characters are added to the PDF file name. Could you please confirm that this is on the roadmap to be resolved and a possible ETA on this.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Adele. I'd be curious if the same thing happens in another LMS environment, like SCORM Cloud. If it works properly on SCORM Cloud, it's a good indication that the issue is in the LMS.

We're happy to help you! Click here to privately share your output files, and we can tell you what we think. We delete everything when we're done troubleshooting.

Studio 7 Communications

Hello, we use Rise 360, and we are experiencing the same problem with extra characters beeing added to the name of PDF files.

The issue is already in Rise preview, and when publishing from Rise to Web. However, when publishing from Rise to Articulate Review, the PDFs have the proper name. It's a good indication that the issue is in Rise.

When opening the web publish folder, the PDFs have been renamed with extra characters, so we if we change the file names, the links won't work anymore in the course. 

We have 10 downloadable PDFs in this course and we need an immediate solution.

Thank you
(sample image was named "Glossary.pdf")

Renz Sevilla

Hi Sofia, 

Happy to investigate this with you, if you need faster help, you can share the file privately with us by opening a case here.  Can you help me with a few more details?

• Where is your Rise 360 course hosted? A web server, LMS, or somewhere else? 
  • What web browser were you using when you noticed this problem? 
Paramita Bhattacharya

Hi,

The name of a downloaded PDF file in Rise is different than the name of the file that is uploaded to Rise from the PDF Multimedia block. The downloaded file has some random characters added to the original filename. The same thing happens when downloading the pdf file from the LMS where I've added the SCORM of my Rise course to. I've noticed that this happens when downloading a .PNG image as well.

I'm using Google Chrome to view my Rise courses as well as the LMS. 

Could you please help fix this?

Thank you!