Poor Video Resolution in Rise

Sep 14, 2018

I'm experiencing some poor video resolution in Rise. Original video files have much better resolution than when they're played back in Rise.  What frame sizes correspond to the small, medium, and full width video display options in Rise?  I'd like to render my videos to these dimensions.  Any other suggestions for improving video resolution in Rise?

Pinned Reply
Crystal Horn

Hi folks! We have a new, helpful tip for maintaining high resolution video quality in your lessons:

If you'd like a video to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your video file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it.

* Keep in mind, using this method bypasses transcoding and compression, so learners may encounter issues with playback across different devices. File size limits still apply.

For more media best practices, check out this article!

42 Replies
Stephanie Luckey

So will there be a workaround for the loss in quality similar to your workaround with the photos? (adding _NOPROCESS_ to the title).  I need this to stay within rise online/using the link so i can't use Alin's workaround by exporting and swapping within the zip file.

It's a bit frustrating/disappointing that this has not been solved after 3 years, and there is no warning within Rise to the loss of quality after you spend a lot of time editing and making videos look great.

Renz Sevilla

Hi Stephanie! Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear your video quality is changing when uploading to Rise 360. 

If your videos continue to have a loss in quality even after following the recommendations in this article on best practices for videos in Rise, can you please share a copy of your file so we can take a look?  You can upload it here to submit a case privately.

Chino Navarro

Hi Michelle, sorry that you are experiencing issues with the quality of your video when uploading it into Rise 360. Sure thing, please try out the steps in the best practices for videos article, and if you still need help after, feel free to submit a case here. Our support engineers are ready to help. 

Andy Houghton

From the best practice "Rise 360 compresses videos so they have smaller file sizes while maintaining quality" Doesn't Rise let you embed videos and if it does, shouldn't this be mentioned in the best practice.

In this blog we talk about the benefits and show how to embed in Storyline
https://whatyouneedtoknow.co.uk/go-ahead-embed/

Renz Sevilla

Hi Andy! Our best practices article is for recommendations of uploaded media content such as video, images, and audio. 

Rise 360 does allow you to embed video from third-party hosts, but since this isn't something that Rise 360 processes on our server nor does the learner need to upload, it isn't something that would be directly covered by that article. 

For embedding content such as videos from another site, please see this article and for Storyline embeds please see Rise 360: Use Storyline Blocks to Embed Storyline 360 Courses.

Tomas Nordstrom

Hi Alyssa, any progress regarding blurry videos in Rise 360?
I'm using Camtasia 2022 to produce the videos.
Is there perhaps some work-around.
For example, are there any known settings in Camtasia, that can makes the videos play as clear as outside Rise 360, i.e that is fitting the Rise 360 compression better somehow.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Tomas!

While I don't have any specific settings in Camtasia to recommend, you may want to try this workaround Peter shared in a similar discussion: 

The workaround if just using Rise (as has already been stated by others on this forum) is to manually swap out the videos in the published SCORM file for your own optimised versions of the videos, retaining the naming conventions of the published videos.

Jean FERRAND

I invested a few hours to give Rise 360 a try and unfortunately I have to come to this post... Same problem. I download 1080p mP4, and the result is 720p or less. Ugly result.

It says somewhere "Rise automatically compresses videos WITHOUT LOSS OF QUALITY". ---> 100% FALSE.

Please just add a "NO COMPRESSION - Option Button". Then we'll be done with this "Non-Optional Buggy Mandatory Compression System".

If not, explain us why you don't do it.

Angelo Cruz

Hi Jean! I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering issues with the quality of your uploaded videos. Have you tried the recommendations in this article regarding our best practices for videos in Rise?

You may also share your video file(s) with us by submitting a case here so that we can take a closer look.

Tim Waldron

I ran into the same problem. Videos for a software tutorial look quite blurry in Rise, due to what I presume is massive compression to reduce file size.

External video hosting is sadly not possible due to corporate restrictions. Has there been any update on internal Rise video quality settings? (Probably not... but I guess I might as well ask.)

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Tim!

While we haven't made updates to the Rise 360 video upload process, we'd love to have a closer look at your software tutorial video to see if we can make any recommendations.

If that works for you, please open a case here and attach the video file. We'll delete it as soon as we're done taking a look! 

Crystal Horn

Hi folks! We have a new, helpful tip for maintaining high resolution video quality in your lessons:

If you'd like a video to keep its specific file format and not undergo compression, you can opt-out of image optimization on a case-by-case basis. Just add _NOPROCESS_ to the name of your video file. It'll upload and display exactly as you saved it.

* Keep in mind, using this method bypasses transcoding and compression, so learners may encounter issues with playback across different devices. File size limits still apply.

For more media best practices, check out this article!