19 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Katelin,

I see you also reached out to our Support team, and were able to talk through this with my colleague Vic. 

He shared the following: 

Our team just completed our review. We've observed that the resolution of your video file is around 1920x1080 while the project's Slide size is 1024x576. Although both files have the same aspect ratio of 16:9, Storyline will resize the video down to fit its Slide and the disparity between their sizes is what causes the video quality to drop.

For reference, 1024x576 is around 589,824 pixels and 1920x1080 is around 2,073,600 - which means that the video file has 3.5 times more pixels than the Slide. When the video is scaled down to fit the Slide, it loses around 1,483,776 pixels from its original size.
I understand that adjusting the Slide size of your project to match the video may not be a suitable solution for you. Since you've created the video through an Adobe application, would you be able to republish your video file at around the same size as your Storyline project?

That seems to have done the trick for you, so I wanted to share that update here with others. Also, here's a handy reference on best practices for working with high-quality images and videoes.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Jamie and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Rise courses are fully responsive, and they will adapt to screens and orientation.

We recommend using high-quality videos with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the best results in your published courses. You can read more about that here and here.

If you need us to take a look at a video file, please feel free to share.

The original issue here was for Storyline.

David Price

I realise this thread is a bit old but I am experiencing exactly the same issues.  Video produced at 1024x620 (my project size) looks blurry when inserted into Storyline 360.

I have reduced the size of the video to fit onto one of my layers but whether it is at full size or reduced, its still the same poor quality.  I have changed the compression option to 'None' and it made no difference at all.

My output video settings are set to maximum (9) and still no improvement.  It looks blurry in both preview and published.

My customer is complaining that the video quality is really poor which means I can't deliver it to them like this.  Is there any update on this?

I have attached a screenshot below of a video playing in Windows media player on top of the video playing in Storyline.  You may not be able to notice it on this screenshot, but there is a clear difference between the 2.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing in your project file as well as the troubleshooting you've already done.

It looks like you're going through our best practices documentation here, but I did not see you mention locking the player. Are you doing that as well?

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Leslie,

Following the advices in this article
https://articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Best-Practices-for-High-Quality-Images-and-Videos

I first published my video for Review using this settings:
your setting

And then I published my video as an .mp4 with highest settings (it has no sound)
what i see

The result is that video published as a Story in Review has a way better quality than published as .mp4! Please see ,PNG attached to see the differences.

It is inconvenient for end-product to leave it as a .story becuase loosing the video controls of rewinding etc. Could you please align the output quality for .mp4 too?

Thank you!

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Irina,

Thanks for those images and screenshots. Is the video a standard video file you've inserted or something created from a screen recording in Storyline? 

If you're able to share the Review 360 link or the MP4 that would also help our team take a look at the differences in published output quality! You can upload at this link using the Add Attachment button or you always have an option to share privately with our Support Engineers. Either way, we'll delete it when done testing. 

gary moulton

Hi Ashley

I seem to be suffering from the same issue in Articulate SL 3.

Please would you be able to take a look at my attached project and suggest a solution to resolve the very poor quality video output?

Also the input fields descriptions do not display in Chrome (Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)) but they display in Internet Explorer.  My client wants it to work in Chrome.

I cannot deliver this to my client due to such poor video quality.

Many thanks

Gary

Lauren Connelly

Hi Gary!

Thanks for attaching your .story file! I see the one slide with the screen recording seems blurry. It looks like the video has been resized which can cause the quality to be compromised. Is there any chance that you can reattach the screen recording to a new slide? If you recorded your screen in Storyline, here is how to do that. In Story View, click Record Screen and in the drop-down should be the video.

Please keep me posted!

Shannon Perry

Hi! I seem to be having a similar video problem here with a screen capture I took from within Storyline. I'm not sure what to do ... 

I attached the story file below, but it can also be accessed in Review here: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/3efa2a0f-6fa6-4ccf-8f37-87ba44025433/review

The last video, in "Video Scene" I know for a fact was not resized in any way. The curious thing is the videos look very sharp in preview but then blur when published.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Shannon! 

Thanks for attaching your .story file!

After troubleshooting steps, it looks like the sizing of the screen recordings is what is resulting in blurriness.

On the first slide, I've enlarged the size using the corners of the image. This helped build a clearer image. From my experience, I can see the screen recordings are too small for the Story size. 

I've attached the .story for comparison.

Soren J Birch

I would advice against inserting big videos into Articulate Storyline projects. I have had projects irrevocably corrupted after a 3,2 GB+ sized .MOV video was inserted. Even though the program did not object and I was able to publish, the project it self was permanently damaged, and nobody in Articulate support could fix it. I had to go back to a several days older version from before I put in the very large video file.

What I do is to host my large videos on a commercial streaming service like vimeo.com and then embed videos in my projects.

Pros

1) Your video quality will remain intact and streaming will be optimized to fit the consumer's bandwidth.

2) It cuts down on the .story project file size by A LOT.

3) It saves you from losing evenings to fix your project file after Storyline silently corrupts it for you.

Cons

1) You need to sign up for a third party video streaming service, and preferably one that you are in control of - ie. pays for. I advice against YouTube.

2) You have to maintain several sets for a project, the Storyline project itself and the third party video site.

3) You lose the baked in video controls and ability to do interactive video. You will have to rely on the streaming providers tool bars.

Shannon Perry

Hi Soren,

Thank you for your advice here. After playing around with this some more, I believe you are correct. I have found some server space here at my institution and am now hosting my video from there and embedding as a web object into my project. This has been the best option for preserving the quality, as you said, despite the cons you also listed. 

I also learned that the url should have a secure https:// at the beginning. My video wouldn't load in review until I changed my url from http:// to https://.

Thank you, again!