Storyline 360 users: What are your localization pain points?

Apr 02, 2024

Hi Storyline 360 users!

We’ve been hearing that course localization can be a painful, time-consuming process. We hate that it’s such a frustrating experience, so we’re working on some ideas to make it much easier. But to do that, we need your help! 

If you can spare five minutes, we’d love for you to complete this short survey to help us understand your localization needs.

We look forward to hearing from you!

14 Replies
Phil Mayor

Hi Alison, I am sure others will have loads to add for a start

• CCs are a real pain to export and reimport. 
  • Repeated text strings in the text because of strings this costs money to translate
  • Would be much better to have one file that user selects the language on
  • Sometimes translations do not reimport
  • XLIFF should work but many times does not so we resort to the Word file but most translation agencies are cheaper ion you use XLIFF which never reimports
  • Variables and References can get translated
  • Hyperlinks often break when you import a translation file
  • Font sizes and colours change (not as often now but still happens)
  • The import reports strings not translated but these should be highlighted some how, it is time consuming to check and never find them.
  • I should be able to check a box to exclude notes from the translation

Penny Spacht

My company has the survey blocked. Frowning face 

I'd like to have a pane that lists each element/item on the timeline showing the exact time of entrance and exit of animations. I hate working with cue points. If I know the exact times, I should be able to enter them. 

If we can't enter the exact times, then at least have the option of locking the audio at the top of a Storyline timeline.  This would make it so much easier when I'm syncing slides that have a lot of elements and animations.  I image it would be similar to locking a header row in a table or freezing a pane in an Excel spreadsheet. I have a former teammate who use to change his monitor from landscape to portrait; however, that isn't a solution for me. 

We have a lot of older courses that require maintenance. It's the syncing of audio that takes the most time. 

Thomas  Hubbard

Localization can definitely be a headache! Personally, one of my biggest pain points is ensuring that the translated text fits within the same space as the original. Sometimes, languages like German or French can expand and mess up the layout. It's a real challenge to maintain consistency and readability across different languages. 

David Tait

The biggest pain point I have encountered was when I exported the xliff from 20 RIse courses, and then sent them away to be translated.

In the meantime I had created 6 copies of each course, one for each language variant, ready to update with the transalted xliff files.

Unfortunately, when I tried to import the xliff files back in to each course, it became evident that this wasn't possible. Instead I should have created my duplicate courses first, then exported each individual xliff file from them. So instead of generating 20 xliff files, that would have required me to generate 120, which seemed like unecessary work. 

The work around I had to use was a major headache, as I had to start with my English version, then import a new language xliff in to it, before creating a dupliacte course to save the updates. I then had to return to my English version for each and every module/language, which cost me an awful lot of time that I hadn't factored in to my costs.

On reflection, the documentation made clear the process I should have followed, but my original method seemed so logical to me that I didn't consider that it wouldn't work.

If I was to change one thing in that process, it would be to allow me to export a single xliff per course, then have it be compatible for import back in to copies of the original.