New in Storyline 360: Global Notes Formatting

Feb 20, 2024

If you’re like many course creators, you use slide notes in Storyline 360 to give learners access to your voiceover audio script. And because text is part of your overall course design, you want the design to be consistent and fit your organization’s brand guidelines. Well, you’re in luck! With the all-new global notes formatting feature, you can instantly apply the style of your choice to all the notes in your project.

Ready to use this time-saving feature? Simply select your formatted notes and click the Text Styles button. The button changes to a notebook and pencil icon to let you know you’re updating text styles for the slide notes. Choose the style you want to update with your formatting changes, then click Update style from selection on the sub-menu—as shown below.

The formatting you’ve chosen gets applied automatically to new and existing notes using this style. What a time-saver! And here‘s an accessibility boost—we set the default font size for slide notes in new projects to 12 pt to improve legibility.

Articulate 360 subscribers can access this feature right away. If you don't have Articulate 360, start a free 30-day trial. Want to learn more about global notes formatting, slide notes, and text styles in Storyline 360? Check out these resources:

16 Replies
Elizabeth Pawlicki

Just to clarify, there are separate "normal styles" for on-slide text and notes text. The default text body still will be specific to notes, and can be globally applied. Both the Notes format and the default on-slide text are called Normal Text, but they are two separate applications. The icons are different and you'll only see the notes formatting if you're in the notes. 

Notes:

On-slide text: 

Jerson  Campos

It looks like the notes in the slides has their own separate text styles. So the "Normal" style in the slide notes is different from "Normal" style on the slide text.  So you can update the  style on the notes and it won't affect the text on the slides.  And then you can update the notes on all the slides.  This wasn't very clear on the explanation, or maybe I just totally missed it.  

Jose Tansengco

Hi Stephanie,

Happy to help!

I did a quick test on my end using a new project file and I can confirm that formatting for notes works in the latest version of Storyline 360. 

Can I ask if you are on the latest version of Storyline 360? If you are, try repairing your Storyline 360 installation to see if this fixes the issue. If the issue persists, please open a case with our support team here so we can take a look at what's causing the issue. 

Elizabeth Wei

Hi, I'm trying to undo whatever this update did to my file. My publishing team is required to use Storyline 3 even though I use 360. Since this update, they are unable to open this file. The file does not have any notes in the notes panel. I tried following what I read in this article to reset the style, but the error message is still getting thrown. Could someone please explain it to me like I'm five?

Jose Tansengco

Hello Elizabeth,

Happy to help!

To restore the compatibility of your Storyline 360 project files with Storyline 3, you need to:

1. Reset styles to their default formatting
  2. Apply the normal text style to all slide notes
  3. Delete any custom styles.

Feel free to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can help make the changes for you. We'll delete it when we're done!