RISE Progress Tracking Issue in LMS

Apr 01, 2022

I am having an issue with SCORM packages for RISE tracking progress in the LMS Canvas. This is for an online college course where the SCORM is imported as a page on canvas. The class content is housed in 7 RISE courses, 1 for each module. The packages have worked fine for months but now there is a progress tracking issue. Namely, if you click through and complete a course, and then navigate to the next Canvas page, and attempt to go back to the course you just completed to review the material, it either: A) Shows that you haven't even started the lesson, let alone that you completed it, or B) Shows that you have completed Lessons 1 & 2 of 5 (40% completion), but that you have not accessed lessons 3 & 4, despite being on the beginning of the 5th and final lesson. This is particularly odd considering lesson navigation is restricted by completion so if you haven't accessed 3 & 4, you shouldn't be able to access lesson 5 in the first place. 

I have tried to export the package as various SCORM configurations from 1.2, 2004 (2nd), & 2004 (4th) to no avail. I have also tried using different tracking and completion methods, passed/incomplete, complete/incomplete, etc. To add to the conundrum, this issue only exists in 3 of the 7 packages for the class. The class is housed entirely in RISE so this is a pressing issue for us. Any advice or troubleshooting recommendations would be very much appreciated. 

7 Replies
Gren Foronda

Hi David!

We're waiting for Michael's confirmation, but the issue is most likely related to exceeding the suspend data limits imposed by the LMS.

The suspend_data element for a Rise 360 SCORM course tells the learning management system (LMS) where you left off when exiting the course and lets you resume later in the same place without having to start over. The course won't resume correctly once the limit has been exceeded. See more details here:

https://www.articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Exceeding-SCORM-Suspend-Data-Limits

Based on the article above - if you have a large course that exceeds suspend data limits, try shortening the course or splitting it into smaller modules. Or, export your course for SCORM 2004 3rd Edition or 4th Edition, both of which support much longer suspend data.

If the issue persists despite the above workarounds, please create a support case so we may look into this issue closely. 

Michael Treadway

Good Morning David,

Thank you for reaching out. I did not ever get a solution to this issue with Canvas. I am happy to discuss as you like.

All the best,

M. Hagen Treadway, M.S.
Curriculum Designer | Instructor
Department of Online Learning
Center for Innovative Teaching and Technology
Hillsborough Community College
Office: 813.253.7749
mtreadway4@hccfl.edu | hccfl.edu
[HCC monogram with seal]

David Emmett

Michael

Hi – I did get this reply from Rise (see below) – and will do some testing– I also noticed a difference from using Google Chrome and Firefox in terms of data being send and retrieved from Canvas – but this was a quick test and may mean nothing – will try to make sense of the testing over the next few days and get back to you
Cheers
Dave

The suspend