Rise Translation Import Stuck in Processing

Dec 21, 2022

My Rise translation import is stuck in processing with a spinning circle.

I duplicated the original Rise course, exported the XLIFF file (from duplicated course), generated the translated XLIFF file from a 3rd party, and am now trying to import the translated XLIFF file back into the course. It is stuck in processing as shown in the attachment.

I have tried cancelling and restarting the import, as well as regenerating the translated XLIFF file to try again.

I am attaching a screenshot of the spinning processing circle, as well as the XLIFF file I'm trying to import.

P.S. It is a translation for Arabic (which I know is not supported). My goal is to use the method discussed in this community post as a work around. I have also tried translating the course into Spanish and uploading that xliff file into this course- it also gets stuck in processing.

36 Replies
Safia Fitzpatrick

Hello,
Thank you for responding. No I am not having the same issue.

Safia Fitzpatrick, CSM
(Suh-fee-yuh)
Change Management Trainer
Global Change & Digital Enablement
safia.fitzpatrick@ingrammicro.com
[cid:image001.png@01D9B8A3.8CA5B3B0]

If you do not wish to receive promotional materials from Ingram Micro via e-mail, please go to Our unsubscribe link<https://pc2.mypreferences.com/IngramMicro/?PGID=IM

Rekha Mohanty

HI, this is urgent. I am having the same issue....I exported the xlf, sent it off to translation. Now when I try to import the file received into the duplicate of the course, it is stuck in 'processing translation'. I work extensive3ly with RISE 360 and this is the very first time am experiencing this issue.

Jill Freeman

Hi Rehka. Sorry you are having trouble. My previous case was resolved by Articulate, but I am again having it spin forever with other Rise modules. I will open a new case. Previous case was # 03596038 in which they fixed my xlif files and I successfully imported the translations to Rise.  

Jill Freeman

Here are some ideas that may help you get through this issue. If you followed the correct export and import procedure, then the issue may be caused by some tags in the XLF file that was exported from Rise or Storyline. 

Thousands of tags are generated by Storyline, and Articulate doesn't always tell us where or what tags are causing the issue during import. If we knew which lines in the translated XLF file had errors, it'd be easy to fix, instead of trying to find a needle in a haystack. 

Articulate does sometimes provide an error message when importing a translated XLF file, telling us which tag is causing the problem. eg. "A SpanningCodeStart with id span_3 was not found." (See screen shot.) This is helpful, but still requires a tedious process to locate the error. And there may be more errors! 

Sometimes the file just crashes or hangs during import, without any error message. However, you may notice that PART of the foreign language has imported. If this is the case, identify the slide in the training where it stopped importing the translation. Then I start by opening the translated DOCX file that we received from our vendor. Locate the corresponding place in the translated DOCX and XLF where a tag problem exists.  Remove extra tags that are out of sequence, or in middle of a sentence. You may see a word outside of the tags (between tags 4 and 5) or spacing is different (before rather than after the tag). Try to import again after saving XLF file. 

Another solution that may enable a successful import: Text that is copy-pasted from MS Word adds a lot of formatting tags that aren't necessary. So if you normally copy text into Articulate from a Word doc, consider copying into Notepad or similar first. I have not tried this as it will remove ALL formatting. 

FYI, I asked Articulate in a previous trouble ticket if they can update their software to always deliver an error message that includes the specific tag that is preventing the successful import, instead of just crashing or hanging. 

ARTICULATE, would a formal Feature Request lead to that outcome? 

I did receive this tip from Articulate:

There's no feature in Storyline that analyzes translation files, so I've used a third-party tool, WinMerge, to compare the affected translation file and the original text from the course. It looks like there are additional tags in your translation file. It can help identify tags present in your translation file that were not exported in the original text.

This is a long-winded explanation that (hopefully) lead to successful imports. Thanks. -Jill

Will Rudman

Don't know if it will be any help, but much like a comment made up the page I finally got it to work. It wouldn't translate the duplicate but it worked straight away when I translated the original module. Not sure how that will help when translating multiple languages of the same module, but if it's just x1 language, use the duplicate as your English version (or base language) and use the original as your translated version. Hope that works for anyone 

Colleen McKay Wharton

Thor-- Your comment of making "a duplicate of the duplicate' is helpful -- and making me nervous.  I have had the spinning 'processing' wheel for the .XLIFF import -- and I am afraid this may be the issue.  I have a fear I have exported from a different copy of the same course and now trying to import into a copy. 

MY QUESTION: given that the translation /editing has been completed by a translator ....how do I NOT have to do everything over?  That's just not an option to have the translator re-do the process.   A tedious workaround may be to report a new XLIFF file -- and 'copy and paste' the translations from the original into the new .XLIFF file -- and try to import that one?  Is it possible that may work? TIA