Some videos not playing when exporting rise course and/or publishing to articulate review

Oct 29, 2019

I recently created 9 courses and published them for review. All courses have videos but one of the videos won't play. I just get the message " The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.". The video files are all mp4 and are all similar sizes. I thought it might just be a review issue so I exported the course as a SCORM 1.2 and loaded into our LMS. Same issue...

I have tested on IE and Chrome and get the same result. Any suggestions?

15 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Rebecca!

We've seen other reports of this, so thanks for bringing it up! While we haven't yet been able to nail down the cause of the issue, we have a hunch it's related to the video file name.

What is the file name of that particular video? Do you see an improvement if you rename the video file, then re-upload it to your lesson?

Rebecca Lee

Thanks for the response Alyssa,

I changed the name (added a '_1') to the name and still didn't work... I then exported a lower res version and it is working. They were both under the recommended file size though (and I think I have bigger videos published) so not sure if this is really what solved it?

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for that insight, Rebecca. Really strange that you were able to work around the issue by exporting a lower resolution version of the video. 

We're still exploring the cause of this issue, so we'd love to have a closer look at your file. If you don't mind sharing it, you can send it our way by clicking here.

Shawn Malcomson

I am getting the same message when trying to play videos that are in a course that was exported as a web file.  Everything else in the course works fine, and the videos in the assets folder play fine when I open them individually.  However, when accessed from the index file, they do not.  Has there been any update from the devs on how to make this work? I have tried changing the bitrate on the videos as well as shortening the names to just 2 characters.  None of this has worked.  

Edit: I also tried deleting the Video block and adding it back in using the new video with lower bit rate and shortened name. 

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone! In today's update for Rise 360, we fixed an issue where video blocks sometimes displayed an error message that the media cannot be loaded.

To correct the issue for an existing course, upload the affected videos again, then export the updated course for your LMS or republish it to Review 360.

You can check out the release notes here. Have a great day!