Uploading Errors in Cornerstone with Rise Courses

Dec 20, 2018

Hello,

Does anyone else have issues with Rise .zip files uploading with Critical Errors in Cornerstone? This has happened with three of our Rise courses, and Cornerstone has told us the issue is caused by the font files duplicating, and the solution is to delete the duplicated files. We had to ask where/how to do this, because it has never been an issue before (we converted to Cornerstone from SABA this summer). However, when we do this, it also takes our fonts in the courses to Times New Roman instead of the intended font. The course tests fine in SCORM Cloud, and were fine in SABA, so this seems to be a Cornerstone-specific issue.

We are using Rise courses more and more and would love an actual solution, instead of settling for the wrong font in our courses.

Any experience with this?

41 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Brooke,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Rise in Cornerstone. Since you said everything looks good on SCORM Cloud, it sounds like you'll need to work with Cornerstone directly to get the bottom of what could be causing this issue.

Sorry I can't do more to help! Maybe someone in the community has experienced this issue before and can jump in with a solution.

Jose Velasquez

We just ran across a critical error with a Rise course in Cornerstone. The error we're getting is "Multi standards (AICC/SCORM/xAPI) are not allowed in one file". I have no idea what to do with that. I published the course as SCORM 1.2 and 2004 3rd edition and both SCORM versions work fine in SCORM cloud. If anyone has run across this and found a good solution, would love to hear about it.

Jose Velasquez

Not the ideal solution, but I went in and deleted all files labelled AICC and TinCan. Oddly, after doing that the course loaded into Cornerstone and functioned correctly. I know it's normal for a Rise course to include an AICC html file but TinCan files? I thought it a bit strange when I saw them. I also noticed some JS files for After Effects. I have no idea what those are doing there. They seem to be related to the software sims (SL360 blocks). 

Steve Flowers

Here's the way I approached solving this one. I wouldn't remove the AICC files since some of those might be needed. I removed all of the tincan.xml files and it fixed the problem. Benefit here is there's only one thing to search for. 

I think the upload process is being overly picky about the files contained in the zip. This is pretty annoying for publishers. The uploader should simply ignore any files within the zip if it's uploaded as a SCORM file, "Uploaded with Errors", rather than rejecting the file with a critical error. Here's how I am fixing it:

1. Unzip the SCORM file. 
  2. Search the unzipped folder for tincan.xml. 
  3. Delete the tincan.xml files that return in the search. 
  4. Rezip the contents of the unzipped file, ensuring that the imsmanifest file is at the root of the zip.

** If you don't remove the tincan.xml files from the imsmanifest file, you'll get warnings for every missing file. Not a big deal. It'll still upload. 

Jose Velasquez

Thanks, Steve. I was on the right track and you vindicated my investigative instinct. I just did an extra step of removing the AICC file. I'll try it again with just the tincan files removed. I'll also edit the manifest to remove all references of Tincan. Also, any clue as to what After Effects json files are doing in a Rise/SCORM file? I found that a bit strange. My guess is there's more wizardry going on behind the scenes for the SL360 blocks than meets the eye. 

Hassan Gulamali

Thanks for the update Crystal and for the workaround Steve.  

When I unzip/re-zip my course to remove tincan files my zipped file doubles in size creating stress on the network.  It's not really ideal.

1.  Any estimated time to fix the issue?

2.  Suggestions to control the size of re-zipped output?  241mb exported from Rise and 482mb after zipping

Maria Varchetto

Hi All... we are getting the same error!  Our Rise course works in Scorm but not in Cornerstone.  We went into the zip file to try to remove the Tincan file but there were 3 of them and each one takes 10-15 minutes to delete! 

We can't be doing this for every back and forth edit/publish and upload to Cornerstone.  Anyone know why this is happening to an estimated time to fix it?

Steve Flowers

Shouldn't take that long to remove. Takes a few seconds to delete on my end. Are you unzipping the file first?

Hassan - Are you sure you're rezipping just the contents of the unzipped file? Articulate isn't doing anything special with the zip. If your file is doubling, I wonder if your rezipping the zip file into the new file. You'll want to be really careful to make sure the imsmanifest is in the root of your rezipped file or it won't load.

Maria Varchetto

You guys were right, I unzipped the file and I was able to delete the tincan file in seconds.  My bad lol.  But we're still having an issue with it uploading to Cornerstone.  It's now giving us a new error message saying "The resource file does not exist"... we deleted 3 tincan files, and when you first open the zip there is still an XML document titled "imsmanifest" shown there. 

Thoughts now?

Jose Velasquez

Hi Maria,

That's a "normal" error message from the LMS. It's just saying that it can't find the tincan files referenced in the manifest because you deleted them. The course will still work. If you want a clean upload with no messages, you need to edit the manifest of all tincan references and you won't get that error message. See attached for how that looks. I used notepad and ctl + f to find all tincan references. Delete the entire reference, including the brackets <....> . Do this before re-zipping the SCORM file.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Hassan,

Unfortunately I don't have an ETA to share with you on when this will be fixed. We'll update you via this thread when we know more.

Regarding the file size: did you insert a lot of high-resolution images and videos? If so, that may be the reason your file is so large. If not, is your course extremely long? Those are the only two things I can think of that may make your file size larger. If neither of those things are true, I would try reaching out to our Support Team so they take a look and see if something else is going on. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Charlotte Vinning

Sorry jumping on the back of this -I uploaded a file from Rise into Cornerstone on Saturday with no problem.
Today I have updated a section with a storyline file and tried to upload today and I get the critical error.

Please can you advise what the issue is  - I have tried to delete out the tin-can part with no success. What else can I try?

Crystal Horn

Hey everybody. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 29 for Storyline 360! Here are all the details.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where a Tin Can file was showing up in Rise 360 courses that included a Storyline block, causing errors when uploading SCORM packages to your LMS.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360. After updating, please republish your Storyline project as HTML5-only to Review 360, and reinsert your Storyline block in Rise 360. Let me know how you make out!