RISE - Publish to Sharepoint 365/Web

Nov 19, 2018

I have managed to publish as web course, however in IE and EDGE browsers clicking the index.html does nothing. I can get the course to open in Chrome however, so it is working just not on those browser. Is this normal?

Secondly, the goal is to publish the web course on SharePoint, however this wants to treat the index.html as a .PDF. Has anyone successfully got a course launching in SharePoint 365?

57 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Craig!

Sorry to hear that you’ve hit a roadblock here.

The reason you're not able to play your course locally in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge is because those browsers block local playback of Rise courses (unlike Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari). That's why you're just seeing a blank page in these browsers. To use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, you'll need to upload your course to a web server. Here's an article that talks about how to do that.

It's my understanding that SharePoint Online (the Microsoft Office 365 Hosted Edition) won't play HTML files. As a result, SharePoint Online can't host published Rise content, which includes HTML files.

You should be able to upload Rise content to a SharePoint Server you host, and you'll want to check with your SharePoint administrator for instructions on how to host HTML content. Depending on your version of SharePoint, you may need to switch to explorer view before uploading content, or you may need to check in content after uploading it. Your administrator will know for sure.

If you need to track learners' progress and results, publish your Rise content for LMS and use SharePoint's free Learning Kit.

I hope that helps! :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Diane Smith

One of the primary reasons our organization chose RISE over other rapid development tools was the ability to take a Rise URL (share) link and add it to our SharePoint site for our internal and external staff to access onboarding/orientation training well ahead of when our LMS allows them in. 

Now that Articulate is disbanding our ability to use the Rise URL (share) links - AND hasn't developed a publishing option for posting to SharePoint - what are we supposed to do? 

There are a LOT of organizations that depend on SharePoint (or Degreed or a host of other web-based platforms that are NOT SCORM or an LMS) to host (or link to) Rise materials. Is Articulate abandoning all of us because a) you can't host all of these course and b) you don't want to invest in developing a solution?  

Craig Oliver-Walsh

Changing the extensions to .aspx works just fine once a couple of things are sorted.

The issue with a RISE course not working is typically these two things:

1.Permissions are set incorrectly and wont allow for .aspx files to launch - you would need a SP admin to fix this, I am not sure how to fix as magically it just worked one day after making our poor SP admins life a living hell :-)

2.All the files have not been checked in, there are tools the admins can set you up with to do large scale check-ins so you don't have to do them with each individual file.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Diane! 

Yes, you can still send people the Share link so they can view your content!

On April 6, any website which is using an iframe code that includes the Share URL of a Rise 360 course will no longer display your course.

This means if you add a Rise course to your website using this code: <iframe src="https://rise.articulate.com/share/1234567abcdef"></iframe>, it will stop working on that date.

However, it doesn't sound like you're using an iframe like the one above, so you're in the clear!

We're happy to help with any questions or concerns. Just post them here or reach out to us directly.

Ruth Mahoney

Hello,

I wanted to share my Rise course with an external client for 1 year and then disable the course access. I found a way to do this for a SCORM 1.2 file using Rustici Dispatch but my client needs the course in Web format. Can I upload my course to our SharePoint site and give them access from there for 1 year and then disable it or do I need to do this another way?

Thanks

Ruth 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Joe!

You would have added the Rise Share URL to an iframe yourself. Some people use an iframe to display a Rise 360 course on their website, for example.

If you add added a Rise 360 course to your website using a code like this: <iframe src="https://rise.articulate.com/share/1234567abcdef"></iframe>, it will stop working on April 6th.

If you don't think you've ever used an iframe code like that, then this change won't affect your courses at all!

Let me know if you have any more questions about that. 

Trish Mckinney

I have been beating my head against the wall to make Rise web-publish work on SharePoint online. Not sure if this is due to Windows or Enterprise security, but what worked for me was the following:
Rise web-published courses

1. Publish course as Web.
  2. Either download the zip file or save it locally from the email notification.
    • VERY IMPORTANT:  Once the zip is local, right-click the zip file and select Properties.
    • Under Security, click the UNBLOCK checkbox (make sure you do this before extracting).
    • Update 22-Feb-2022:  These two bullets may vary. Recently, there has been no Unblock checkbox in Properties for me, but remaining steps work.
  3. Click OK.
  4. Extract the file.
  5. Go into the content folder (when I extract files, Articulate has my actual course files at another level called content).
  6. Make a copy of the index.html file.
  7. Right click the index - Copy.html , and rename it to index.aspx (you'll be asked if you're sure - yes!).
  8. Update 22-Feb-2022:  Make sure you are SITE OWNER on the SharePoint site where you will be loading the course files.

Update 14-Sep-2023:  Make sure you have FULL CONTROL provisions on the SharePoint site where you will be loading the course files. The index file will NOT launch properly if uploaded with any other access level.

9. Now, upload either the content folder (that holds the course files) or the course files directly to a SharePoint Online site.
  10. Once the course files are loaded, click the index.aspx file to launch.

For Storyline web-publish, and I assume Presenter/Studio web-publish (I haven't tested):

1. Remove the analytics-frame.html from the published folder content
  2. Make a copy/rename story.html to story.aspx.
  3. Upload to SPO and use story.aspx to launch. 

Hope this helps someone!
T.

Trish Mckinney

Chino - I was trying to contact directly, but was curious. Will Articulate be testing (my solution) and then scrubbing the various threads on this topic across the site? I know there are several cases where 'alternative' solutions have been offered. I don't want to assume this works for everyone, so might need to be tested in other environments, but if it consistently works, I think a site scrub might be in order.