In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to add quiz result slides in Storyline 360 and Storyline 3. Result slides let you give learners valuable feedback after a quiz and track their scores in a learning management system (LMS).
Watch this video overview, then follow the activities below to practice.
- Add a Graded Result Slide
- Select Result Slide Features
- Format Your Result Slide
- Preview Your Quiz and Result Slide
- Publish for LMS and Use Your Result Slide to Track Completion
In this activity, we’ll add a result slide to a project. Then, we’ll customize it in the following activities. First, watch this demo, then jump into the practice steps below.
- Open the Storyline folder in your practice files, then open the 04C_Quiz_Results_360.story file and go to slide 1.6, the last question in the first scene. When you insert a result slide, it’ll be added immediately after the current slide.
- Go to the Slides tab on the ribbon, click Results, choose the Graded Result Slide template, and click Insert Slide.
- When the result slide properties appear, notice that the question slides in the current scene are already selected for tracking. (You can also mark the other question slides in the other scenes if you like.) Click OK to add the result slide to your project.
Tip: You can add multiple result slides to a single Storyline course as demonstrated in the video above. However, only one result slide per course can be tracked by an LMS. To track multiple quizzes (result slides) in the same course, add a final result slide that tracks the other result slides in the course rather than individual questions. See the Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 user guides to learn more about combining result slides.
Result slides have several optional features. Some are enabled by default; some aren’t. Let’s enable the retry button when learners fail the quiz.
- Select the Failure layer in the slide layers panel in the lower right corner of the screen. Any changes we make to this layer will only appear when learners fail the quiz.
- Go to the Result Tools—Design tab on the ribbon, click Retry Button, then click the slide where you want the button to appear.
- If you’d like to change how the button looks, go to the Format tab on the ribbon and make your selections.
Tip: By default, the Retry Quiz button gives learners an unlimited number of attempts, but you can limit the number of attempts with a variable. See the Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 user guides for details.
You can customize the appearance of a result slide as well as its success and failure layers any way you’d like. In this activity, we’ll apply a custom layout from the slide master.
- Select the base layer of the result slide in the slide layer panel.
- Right-click the slide, scroll to Apply Layout, and choose one of the Results layouts.
- Rearrange the text and buttons on the slide to make them fit, and change the colors as you like.
Click the Preview drop-down arrow on the ribbon and choose This Scene to test your quiz. It won’t matter if you get the questions right or wrong. The goal is to see how your new result slide behaves at the end of the quiz. When you’re finished, exit out of preview mode.
You don’t have to publish for LMS to use result slides, but if you’re hosting your course in an LMS, you can use result slides to track learners scores. Let’s publish our course for LMS to see how it’s done.
- Go to the Home tab on the ribbon and click Publish.
- Select the LMS tab on the left side of the publishing wizard.
- Click the ellipsis (...) beside the Folder field to choose a publishing location on your local hard drive.
- Click the LMS drop-down list at the bottom of the window to see the publishing options. You can publish for AICC, SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, or Tin Can API (xAPI). For this activity, select SCORM 1.2.
- Click the Report and Tracking button, then select the Tracking tab on the left side of the window.
- Mark the option to Track using quiz result, then select your result slide from the corresponding drop-down list.
- Click OK to close the tracking options, then click Publish to complete the process.
When the publishing process has finished, you’ll see a publish successful window with several follow-up options. When you publish for LMS, you’ll usually select the Zip option on the publish successful window, then upload the zipped file to your LMS. To learn more about publishing for LMS and the publish successful window, see the Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 user guides.
You've learned how to add, customize, and track completion with result slides in Storyline. To learn more about result slides and publishing for LMS, see these user guides:
In the next tutorial, you’ll learn how to record screencasts.