Quizmaker ‘09 offers a publishing option specifically for people who deploy their quizzes via a learning management system.
Keep in mind that the process we cover in this tutorial is for standalone quizzes. If you instead want to incorporate your quiz into a course you’ve built in Presenter, you’d want to publish your quiz to Presenter, and then publish the entire course from Presenter to LMS.
Here’s how to publish a standalone quiz for your LMS:
- From the Quizmaker menu, select Publish.
- Select LMS from the publish options on the left edge of the window.
- Under Publish Location, use the Folder field to indicate the place on your computer where you want Quizmaker to generate your published output. You can click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Quizmaker will create a new folder in that spot, with all the files you need to play your quiz.
- Important! Always publish to a local drive on your computer. Publishing to a network can cause problems with your published output. After you publish your quiz or survey on your computer, you can upload it to your LMS and test it.
- Check the following Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Quiz Title: You can change the quiz title, if you like, by clicking on it. Quizmaker uses this text for the title bar of your quiz player. The text here also becomes part of the folder name where Quizmaker generates your published output—the folder will be named Your Quiz Title - Quizmaker Output.
- Questions: This just indicates how many questions are in the quiz, and any randomizing or pooling you've enabled. You can't change the info here; to do that you'd need to click Cancel and modify your quiz.
- Passing Score: Click this value to change it if you want. If you're working with a survey, you won't be able to enter a passing score, since surveys aren't graded.
- Player Template: This indicates the player template used for your quiz or survey. The template determines the look and functionality of the player that users see when they launch your quiz. Click the link if you want to make any last-minute adjustments to the template, or if you want to switch to a different template.
- Quality: Since you're publishing for online delivery via your LMS, choose Optimize for Web delivery.
- Under Output Options, use the LMS drop-down to choose the standard to which you'd like to publish (ask your LMS administrator if you're not sure which option to pick):
- Click the Reporting and Tracking button. When the reporting and tracking options appear, fill in the fields marked in the picture below. (The fields will be slightly different, depending on which LMS standard you chose earlier.) Ask your LMS administrator if you're not sure how to complete these fields.
- Under LMS Reporting, use the selector labeled Report status to LMS as to choose the wording you’d like to use when reporting on your learners’ progress and status with regard to this quiz.
- Click OK, then Publish.
That's all there is to it! Quizmaker creates your published output in the folder you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see this pop-up, and you can choose whichever option suits you:
- View Quiz: This launches your quiz in your web browser so you can take a look at your published output. If you want to test your published quiz, though, it’s best not to do it this way. Since your published output was created specifically for use with an LMS, you should instead upload your output to your LMS and test it from there, to make sure it behaves as expected in the environment where you plan to use it.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached.This might be helpful if your LMS administrator will upload your quiz for you, and you need to send him or her the published output for upload.
- FTP: This pops up a window where you can enter your FTP credentials to transfer your output to a website (this isn’t something you’d typically do if you’ve published for LMS).
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the folder you specified on the Publish window. For LMS users, this is the most common choice, because it allows you to easily upload your entire zipped quiz to your LMS.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Quizmaker just created.There will be several folders and files, all of which are needed to play your quiz. If your LMS requires that you identify a single launch file once you’ve uploaded your content, the file to point to is index_lms.html.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, it's time to upload your content to your learning management system. The steps for this are different for each LMS. Ask your LMS administrator if you need help with the specifics of uploading, launching, or tracking your quiz.