Engage pre 2013 Functionality-Button

Dec 04, 2013

I have a training portal that allows people to view specific trainings.  I am updating the portal with new content and have upgraded to Articulate 2013.  I used to have a button that I created that would say "Return to Main Menu" so they could quickly exit the engage interaction.  The button has been removed and I do not know how to get it back.  Is there a way to include a button on engage interactions that let's them quickly jump to a specific slide in your presentation?? 

For instance, I had a frequently asked question interaction that was built in Engage.  Before they could quickly hit a button to jump back to the main menu when they were done researching their question.  Now, they have to click the right arrow to advance through every FAQ posted before it let's them advance.  I have to think there is a solid work around. . . Or at least I hope there is. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!!  Thanks in advance.

1 Reply
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Rich,

First, I wanted to address the advancement issue you mentioned. It sounds like you may have the interaction set to "Linear - user must advance in order" in Engage, or you may be using the option "Allow user to leave interaction: After viewing all the steps" in Presenter. 

In Engage click on "Interaction Properties" > "Playback". If you'd like learners to be able to move around to any portion of the FAQ interaction in any order, select the option for "Interactive - user can advance in any order". 

In Presenter, select your interaction slide. Click on "Edit Properties". From here, select "Allow user to leave interaction: At any time". This should allow the learner to click any slide in the menu (if you have it enabled) or move out of the interaction at any time. 

Now for the button that you had in your earlier version of Engage - did you use something similar to Phil's suggestion here? To modify the text labels in Engage '13, click on "Player" > "Text Labels". This will allow you to modify the names of the current buttons.

For branching, this is actually handled in Presenter. Select the interaction slide and click on "Slide Properties". From here, you can specify which slide the buttons will lead to. So, say for example, your project's main menu is Slide 1. If you modify your "Back" button in Engage to "Main Menu", you could modify the branching to jump to Slide 1. When learners click the "Main Menu" button, the presentation will jump to Slide 1/Main Menu. 

I hope this helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.