hyperlink not working

Apr 17, 2011

Hi,

I have an issue with an hyperlink in a question.

The hyperlink is associated with a button.

When I'm editing the question, when I test the hyperlink, it works fine.

When I publish the quiz, the hyperlink doesn't work anymore.

I verified : the hyperlink has 85 characters only, so it's under the limitation of 128 characters.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

André

52 Replies
Poornima Ramachandran

Hi Andre, and welcome to the `Hyperlink not working club'.

I often face this issue in Presenter. But hopefully, the solution will work in Quizmaker as well,  

Instead of giving hyperlink to the object as such, create a shape, with no outline and white fill. Give it 99% transparency, so that it's not visible. Now give hyperlink to this shape. It should work.

~ Fingers crossed, Poornima

Kayla Burtch

As Poornima mentioned, making a new transparent object for your hyperlinks is a good best practice.

I also find it is handy to label the object in the "selection pane" whatever the hyperlink goes to.

If you ever end up changing your branching or moving things around it can make it so much easier to find those hidden objects (especially if like me each of your slides has upwards of 30 objects on it)

André BARELIER

Thank you very much both for your help !

In fact, I realized that hyperlinks work only when my quiz has been converted to html, AND uploaded online.

That's strange, but, well, it works. Let's see :

When I'm using quizmaker in edit mode, if I insert an hyperlink, the "test" button works, it opens the link in my browser. (I'm talking about an hyperlink which opens a online page).

When I convert the quiz to html, the hyperlink doesn't work as long as the resulting files are still on my hard disk.

If I upload the files on my server, and then open the online quiz, the hyperlink works.

Good to know. Hope this helps.

André

André BARELIER

Correction.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work flawlessly.

With Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, hyperlinks work fine. You have to set the browsers so that they accept popups for the site where the files are located.

With Firefox and Safari, hyperlinks do not work.

That's a serious flaw. It seems Firefox and Safari do not interpret correctly the URL.

I'll try Poornima tip and let you know.

André

Wilson Santiago

Hi folks.  I am having a devil of a time with hyperlinks not working in articulate.  I created a slide which has six objects.  When you click on an object, it takes you to a new page.  This page has a return button which is hyper linked back to the slide with the six objects.  When I try it in PowerPoint 2007 it works fine, but when I try a preview in Articulate the links stop working.  I tried the suggestion listed above of creating  a shape that is transparent and placed over the image and linking to those instead, but still they will not function in Articulate, but work just fine in Powerpoint.  I am at my wit's end with this.  Please advise.  Thanks!

Poornima Ramachandran

Hi Wilson, nice to meet a new member in `Hyper Link Not Working' club.

First option - I sometimes find that the links don't work in the Preview, but work in the Published version. So can you check after publishing?

Second option - The devil should be with the name of the objects hyper-linked. Open your selection pane. Get rid of all commas, colons and semi colons... re name all the six objects with just alphabets. This could help.

Best of luck!

André BARELIER

Hi Wilson and Poornima,

I can confirm that hyperlinks work fine in Articulate, provided you 've done the following :

Update your browser and the flash player plugin

Publish your work on a server, and read it from that server.

Hyperlink do not work in preview mode : the program displays a warning message if you try to activate an hyperlink in preview mode. But they don't work either if you publish the presentation on your computer, and try to read it from there.

No need for transparent shapes, IMO : everything works fine so far.

Hope this helps.

André

Curtis Kynerd

OK, here is a strange one.  I have created hyperlinks to navigate thru the course rather than using Articulate's navigation structure.  WHen I preview a slide, I find that there is a hyperlink located just outside the slide area on the right.  It seems to be on several slides and links to random slides in the course.  I searched for a transparent shape in the slide master/layout to no avail.  Where could this phantom hyperlink be coming from?  Very strange!!

Adrian Gates

Hi Curtis,

Do you have any links in the margins of your slides or on the master layouts? They won't appear visually if they are off the slide area, but if you have clickable objects in that space, the link may still be written when published to flash. Depending on where these elements are located in relation to the player and display mode, they might be accessible to the user.

Curtis Kynerd

Brian,

I have gone to the Master Slide and zoomed out and pressed Control +A.  There is not any object on any of the master slides or layout slides.  I have tested after publishing, but not yet in the LMS.  It appears to be a rectangular shape about 1" wide and 2" high just off the right side of each slide.  I'm sure this is a simple fix, but for the life of me, I haven't found the culprit yet. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.