Quizmaker 360 Points Results in SCORM for interactions

Apr 18, 2017

Hi there, I'm trying to debug an issue where interaction results "cmi.interactions.n.result" are being set to either "correct" or "wrong" (scorm 1.2) instead of the associated points for that response even when scoring is set to by choice.

It would appear that SCORMFunctions.js:SCORM_RecordInteraction() doesn't allow for decimal results whereas the old lms.js:RecordInteraction() used to support it.

Is there a way to get back the old behaviour of allowing decimal results for quiz questions?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Andrew, 

Are you applying any customizing to the JS functions, or just reviewing them in the  Learning Management System (LMS) debug?

You mentioned the old behavior, did this work as you expected in Quizmaker '13? 

I'd love to have our team take a look at the .quiz files from Quizmaker '13 and Quizmaker 360 so that we could compare the debug logs. If you're able to share the Quizmaker '13 file our team will be able to upgrade it to 360.

You can upload it using the form here!

ECAV  NSW

Thanks Ashley,

In trying to setup a demo for you, I noticed that it was due to some custom code I added to user.js that was able to set the results based on the points associated with the choice in the past.

While the custom code is quite trivial, I presume this puts it outside of your support SLA, however I've submitted a ticket at the address you provided and have supplied a sample quiz maker file and a published scorm package which has the modified user.js file in it that successfully tracks points.

Hopefully someone on your team can help me replicate what I was able to do in Quizmaker '13 in Quizmaker 360.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Andrew Smith

Thanks Ashley, although the custom code is just bells and whistles.  SCORM 1.2 multiple choice question types only allow a single character in the student_response (or you can have multiple characters separated by commas), so for example you can only store "b" as the response, not the full text of the response "Red frogs are better than Green".  All my custom code does is convert multiple choice responses to fill-in which allows for student_response to contain a string so people looking at the reports can see what response a person chose.

Taking the custom code away, all I really want is a way to send the points for the chosen choice to the LMS. All versions of AICC/SCORM/Tin Can support numeric/decimal result values, so if I set a particular choice in a multiple choice quiz question to be worth 10 points, I'd like to see "10" in the result attribute for the interaction in the LMS, instead of "correct"/"wrong".

Thanks again for your help,

Andrew

Yup, if you need to capture the full question and answer text you'd want to use SCORM 2004 or Tin Can. Certain question types (multiple choice being one of them) do allow for scoring by answer, but the individual reporting of those scores inside your LMS is something I'd ask your LMS about. You can always look at the LMS debug log to see what information Studio and Storyline are passing to help determine when and where you could look within the LMS to find that data. 

Andrew Smith

Thanks Ashley, actually what I'm after is the points.  Can you confirm that the individual points for a question are set in cmi.interactions.n.result for score 2004? I can report on it in the LMS if it's tracked, but in scorm 1.2 at least, quiz maker sets cmi.interactions.n.result to "correct" or "wrong" and not the points associated with the question.

Hi Andrew,

I checked in with Emily as I saw she was working on your case. She dug into the files and wasn't able to find a notation of the individual scores, so that's not included. The piece I was thinking it would be connected to was how the individual question text/answer and the users' response is reported to an LMS when using SCORM 2004. That's documented here. 

Sorry for any confusion I caused! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.