Articulate Storyline 360 the project file could not be saved cannot access a closed stream

Dec 09, 2016

Help! Get this message when trying to save " the project file could not be saved cannot access a closed stream"

Can't submit a case, it won't submit. (yes, I'm typing the captcha).

17 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nancy,

That error message in previous versions of Storyline was something associated with memory issues, soif you're seeing it within Storyline 360 I'd want to get you working with our Support engineers to dig deeper into the issue and get to the bottom of it. Once you submit a support case, we can also follow along if you share the case number here. 

Catherine Austin

OMG! I am getting this error. I have closed everything on my computer and cleaned out all my files. I have plenty of room but about to go crazy. I have spent all day on this project. I have it saved up until the last two hours, but omg! I don't want to do it over. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I have only 3% of my CPU and 34% of my memory being used from Task Manager.I'll submit a ticket but I need to know tonight what to do about this. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

HI Catherine,

Sorry you ran into this error too. What was the file name previously? It could have been something to do with a long file name/path or one that included special characters or symbols. Those are things we often recommend avoiding, based on Microsoft's file name standard, as they can cause corruption in project files. Some other things that could cause issues are detailed here so you may want to review those too. 

Leandra Blair

I continue to get this error message with 360. I have changed the file name...Short (NPDP_v3) and it is just getting to the point that it happens every time I have to save this file. The file is on my desktop so it's not on a server or in the cloud. 

It is very frustrating! I am going to restart my computer and hope that I don't continue to get this message. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Nyla,

Really sorry to hear you're hitting this roadblock, too! Smart idea to save often, and I can definitely understand how frustrating that would be. Let me get some initial info from you to see if we can narrow this down:

• Are you on the latest update of Storyline 3?
  • Are you working from your local hard drive?
  • Does this happen with only one file in particular, or with all files?
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Kim,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know what you are running into as well.

Curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise to import the file into a new one and proceed.

If it's happening in any/all files, you should certainly conduct a repair of your software.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.