Audio from Videos included on layers continue to play when the base layer is revisited. Issue with latest release of 360

Oct 13, 2017

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to v3.9.13567.0 of 360 desktop app and found this issue. Basically, if you include videos with audio on slide layers and if you revisit the base layer then the audio from all of the videos on each layer starts playing automatically. This is only happening when the video is set to play automatically. If I set the videos to play on the trigger then it works fine.

Also sometimes the base layer does not replay the slide objects especially when you set the base layer to "Automatically decide" when revisiting.

I have attached a sample of the story file so that the testing team can replicate the behavior

Regards,

Ganesh

14 Replies
G Ubhare

Hi Leslie,

Good morning.  

Steps to replicate the issue is as follows

All you have to do is click on the replay button which is next to the pause button once the slide starts and the audio on the base layer as well as the audio from the video which is on the first layer (intro) will start. So you can hear both audio running at the same time. 

This only happens when the video on the layer (Intro)  is set to "Play automatically"

If the video is set to play "On trigger" or "when clicked" then it's fine.

Regards,

Ganesh

Crystal Horn

Hi Ganesh.  Thanks for the help there.  I see what you're describing.  When I hit the "refresh" button and jump back to the slide, I get audio from the other slide layers.  Even if I haven't visited those layers yet, the audio plays.

We have created a report for this behavior, and we're going to see what needs to be done to fix it.  It looks like this is only happening in HTML5 output (which includes previewing your course). 

A possible workaround to cut down on the instances of this happening would be to publish for Flash first, with HTML5 as a fallback.

I'll update this thread with any changes to this behavior!

Joanna Pearce

I am experiencing a very similar issue as well.

I have just upgraded a project from SL2 to SL3 and now the slides with videos on the slide layers seem to play automatically when revisiting the slide. I have 3 layers with videos on and when revisiting, the audio from all 3 videos will play automatically.

If an update to this issue could be posted here asap, that would be great, as we have a client waiting on this to be fixed.

Crystal Horn

Hi Joanna.  Thanks for letting me know that this is impacting your courses as well.  The same behavior is documented for Storyline 3.

It was discovered that if you set the properties of the videos on the layers to play when clicked, rather than automatically, it will resolve this issue.  You can also publish for Flash first, as the Flash output is not experiencing this issue.

I'll keep this discussion posted with any news of a fix.

Katie Riggio

I have great news, Ganesh and Joanna!

We just released another update for Articulate 360, and it includes a fix for the issue where audio from different layers would sometimes play simultaneously when revisiting a slide in HTML5 output.

Simply launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if this is not behaving properly after installing this update – either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Jo! I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 3 for Storyline 3! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where audio from different layers would sometimes play simultaneously when revisiting a slide in HTML5 output.

Here’s where you can download and install the latest version of Storyline 3. Let me know how you make out!

Dave McKisick

Hello. I am experiencing this same issue with courses recently created that have videos on layers. Users click play/replay buttons on the base slide to play the videos on the layers which then return to the base slide with a trigger to hide the layer when the timeline completes.

The issue is that audio will spontaneously start playing on one or more of the videos without the user doing anything. Very confusing when your watching one of the videos, and then audio from another video just starts playing on top of it.

I think this issue boils down to how layers work, so I want to get a deeper understanding of the mechanics behind this. The trigger is to HIDE the layer, not stop it. There also seems to be a redundant layer property to HIDE the layer when the timeline completes. What is the difference between the trigger to hide a layer when the timeline completes and the layer property to hide the layer when the timeline completes?

Let's say for example that I have a video that for whatever wonky reason just replays on its own, or perhaps its corrupted and the timeline of the video somehow does not overlay the video itself and extends out a minute or two. In this particular case if I hide the layer when the timeline completes, will the audio timeline of that corrupted video continue to play even though the layer itself has hidden?

I've opened a support case (#02958541) about this issue and provided the slide that this is happening. Appreciate it if we can get some support on this.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Dave.

Thank you for opening a support case with our engineers!

I see you're working with my teammate Chester, who identified and logged this issue as a bug where videos on the layer play audio automatically even though the layer is not yet shown

We'll reach out through the case as soon as we have news to share!

Dave McKisick

Thanks Maria. I think I may have figured something out with this.

Layers in Storyline apparently do not stop playing after they are hidden and the timelines on them complete. In our case, we have videos that play on layers and then close when the timeline completes. We've identified that at least one of these videos has an audio object on a timeline that plays several minutes after the video itself is done. Our timeline has the videos ending when they should, i.e. when the video completes, and then closes the layer with hide triggers, so the problem is somewhere between how layers and timelines work in Storyline. Probably one or the other is bugged, most likely, its the timeline. I don't think videos or audio clips that complete a timeline on a layer should continue to play even after they are hidden and the layer timeline completes.