Can I make a leaderboard in Storyline 360?

Aug 18, 2022

Hi

I'm having difficulty on this site knowing where I can find information about or ask about this question:

How can I make a Leaderboard for a gamified course which will dynamically  record and retain information (Player + Score) whenever the game is played?

I hope Storyline 360 can do this, or if not, is there a work-around?

Mark

7 Replies
Walt Hamilton

A better question might be "Why would you want to create a leader board?" Research shows that they are an incentive only to the very few four or five at the top, and a huge disincentive to every body else.

If you just want to retain who played and the scores for your own purpose, and not make it public, that is a different discussion.

Mark Mc Donald

Hi Walt.

Excellent feedback. You've got me thinking.

My learning "game" is mainly for the player to compete against themself and improve their score each time. It is also partly diagnostic so it will be useful for some players to see that they are not yet ready to move on to higher level "games". Additionally, it will only take 2-3 times for most players to be scoring top or near-top scores - so their names will usually appear in the "Top Three". For all these reasons I still think the leaderboard might be a good idea.

Having said that, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the wigit to function correctly so I might eventually need to use your point about limited motivation to justify dropping the leaderboard from the "game" altogether... ho hum. (Incidently, the wigit's design options are very limited.)

Thanks again, Walt.

Best wishes

Mark