Can't change trigger order

Jan 31, 2020

Hi,

All of a sudden, I can't change the trigger order for triggers on the same object. 

My triggers are currently arranged like this:

When the state of Button is Normal
- Change state of Label to Hidden
- Change state of TSArrow to Hidden
- Change state of TS_Item to Hidden

The Label and TS_Item change state correctly, but the TSArrow doesn't. I tried to change the trigger order to see if that would change anything, but it won't change. I tried dragging the TSArrow trigger, but it wouldn't move to where I'd dragged it. I tried using the arrows on the right of the trigger options, which are not grayed out, but nothing would change. My best guess is that these are locked in alphabetical order somehow?

Oddly, I am able to change the trigger order on this object for other triggers. To clarify, I have another group of triggers for the same object that says:

When the user clicks Button
-Change state of...

and I am able to change the trigger order for these triggers. 

Does anyone know what's going on with this? Thanks!

19 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi there, Madison!

I haven't seen reports of this, so I'm glad you reached out! A few quick questions to help us unlock the behavior:

• Are the triggers still locked when using the classic workflow? Here's how to switch back and forth between the new and classic workflows.
  • Are you comfortable with attaching the affected .story file publicly here or privately here? We'll take a closer look and delete the file after troubleshooting!
Wendy Farmer

Hi Katie

I've had issues with the trigger order and not be able to drag and drop them to reorder. Only some seem to have the three dots down the left hand side...some the up/down arrows are greyed out.  I had to roll back to v3.35 due to other issues so not on the latest update.

Reading your post above - all the links loop to this post.

Wendy Farmer
Lauren Connelly

you can only reorder triggers when there is more than one per object.

Hi Lauren

I'm not having trouble with re-ordering object or player triggers but I am with slide triggers. In this project from a client that I am editing  SL will not allow me to dnd or use the up/down arrows to re-order.  Even deleting the triggers and adding them in the order I want, SL puts the timeline end trigger first.  I have rebuilt the slide a few times but it keeps happening.  

Jeff Forrer

Hello.  I have seen where triggers don't behave exactly the way expected, I sometimes have to change settings on the triggers, and move other triggers to get mine to go where I want them since they execute top/down. 

One example here (Peek):
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/76608f83-ad4e-4097-a363-b9ade65c6b65/review

I can post some other examples tomorrow.

Thanks

Ren Gomez

Hi Kathy,

As Lauren mentioned above, you should be able to re-order triggers if there's more than one per object. Do you know what version of Storyline you're on? To check, go to the Help tab, and click About Storyline

Also, if you're able to share your file publicly here, feel free to do so by clicking Add Attachment, otherwise you can share it privately with me here, and I'll delete once I'm done taking a look!

Bill Vernola

Can't change the trigger position in the list. It is is defaulting to alphabetical order based on the object name. I see Madison Jurgens wrote in about this in January 2020.  I just did an update to Storyline 360 v 3.44.23912.0 the situation persists.

Why not just program it so the users can override the default alphabetical order and position the trigger where they want it?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Bill,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you are running into an issue as well.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening (just let me know the slide to focus on). You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Niki, 

Would you be willing to share a screenshot of the triggers that you are trying to re-order here so we can take a closer look at why you are unable to change their order? Feel free to share a copy of your project file as well if this works for you. You can add it as an attachment in your response, or open a support case here

Niki Anderson

Thank you for replying,

I found a work around, it seems that Storyline listed my variables in alphabetical order which is not the correct way they need to be placed in the triggers list (it made the slide not work). But when I renamed a variable so the first letter fit in between the names of the other triggers, it moved it to the middle of the other triggers instead of the end (where it had been).
What is frustrating is that it greyed out the arrows to move triggers, didn't allow to manual moving and alphabetical was the only option.

Do you still want to see a screen shot?

~Niki

John Morgan

Hi Niki,

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround for your variable issue! If you are happy with the workaround, we don't need the screenshot to fix your file. If you wanted to leave it so we can try to figure out what's happening, you can attach it. It's completely up to you.

Thanks for checking back in!

Walt Hamilton

You can't reorder these triggers because one is "outside hotspot", and the other is "on hotspot".

Has the hint been shown previously and not closed? Have you tested them by using the same triggers on objects instead of hotspots? Is there something above the hotspot that triggers the hint layer?

Would you like somebody to trouble shoot those and other questions? Attach your .story file here, and someone can take a look at it.

Walt Hamilton

When the learner clicks Hotspot 1, the Expand terms layer shows. That layer also has a hotspot on it. When the learner clicks the second hotspot, it is outside Hotspot 1, so the Hint Caption layer shows. Then the action from the click on the second hotspot fires and hides hint caption layer.

The solution is to go to the properties of Expand terms layer and Select Prevent the user from clicking on the other layers. That way, the base layer doesn't register the second click.