Changing Storyline quality options results in incomplete publish

Feb 19, 2014

Hi all

I'm at the minor edits and tweaks stage of my project, and wasn't very happy with the quality of the images when they were published. I changed the image and video quality in the publish panel (to 100% and 7, respectively) and now all attempts to publish are incomplete. I've tried resetting it to standard, and restarting the application without saving but it's still not working. 

Storyline seems to finish the publish as normal, but when you look in the save folder there are clearly files missing, i.e. no story.html, no external-files folder...the content is about 5MB light on the previous published output which has 139 files as opposed to 79 in the published output after I've edited the Quality options. 

Very grateful for any help anyone can offer, as this is rather frustrating!


5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nicola,

First I'd want to check that you're working on project files and published those files all to a local drive.  Working off a network/USB drive or trying to publish to one of those could cause unusual behavior. Also, what version of Storyline are you using? We're currently on update 5. 

If you've been working on and publishing to a local drive and you're already using update 5, can you please follow the troubleshooting steps in this article to fix unexpected or erratic behavior in Articulate Storyline. 

Please keep us posted on how you get along with those troubleshooting steps. 

Nicola Fern

Hi Ashley

I managed to fix the problem by copying all my slides into a new file and re-saving - which was a pain as I had to recreate and relink all my scenes, add all my resources and edits to the player and redo my master slides, but at least it works.

This suggests a problem with the story file, but there's nothing to say it's corrupt or anything and the rest of it was working perfectly.

Everything I have is stored on a local drive, including my published files, and I'm running the updated version of Storyline. I did reinstall it but it still didn't work until I recreated the file etc.

Any idea what could have been the cause? I don't want to have to do this regularly!


Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the update and sharing the troubleshooting steps you went through. It definitely sounds like an issue within the Storyline file, although determining the cause of corruption in the file or even in one slide is not always possible. The element I mentioned in regards to not saving files locally, or having special characters in your file name or file path, particularly long file names that exceed the 260 character limit are some known causes. 

What I'd recommend for this file, is to make a copy (save as) and try publishing one version as you did before by adjusting the image quality. If the behavior occurs again, please let us know and share the other copy with us here so that we can do some additional testing. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.