Course gets stuck on second page (Next and Previous buttons and Automatic slide advance not working)

Hi,

I need to make updates to an existing course that is published in an LMS system. The course was originally created in the previous version of Storyline but has been converted to a Storyline 2 course during a minor update earlier in the year.

This week I opened the latest version of my source file to make some minor updates and all of a sudden the course always gets stuck on the second slide.

My original settings/ slide properties are:

  • Navigation Restriction: Restricted
  • Slide advances: By User
  • When revisiting: Automatically Decide
  • Slide navigation controls: Prev and Next ticked
  • Player features: player defaults

I have:

  • Re-installed Articulate Storyline 2 sw
  • Installed the latest sw update

I have tried the following in different combinations:

  • Deleted the Prev/Next button triggers and re-created them
  • Unticked the Next/Previous buttons
  • Set the Slide Advances to Automatically
  • Set Navigation Restriction to Free
  • Imported the course slides to a new project
  • Imported the original power point slides to a new project
  • asked a colleague to try all of the above on his PC

In all the above cases the course plays the first slide perfectly, I can move to the second slide Automatically or using the Next button (depending on my slide properties) but the course always gets stuck on the second slide. If I use the menu on the side instead of the Next button after the first slide is completed I can move to any other page in the course but then it gets stuck on that page instead.

The course has worked fine in the LMS system up until now. One end user has had the same problem with the course in LMS but after ten or so attempts she was able to continue the course. When I try the course in LMS it works fine from the start.

I also have other courses I have created that do not display these problems. It is only this course and all the previous versions of this course that has the problem.

I really need to make updates to the course so I need some help in fixing this problem.

Thanks
Annika

15 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Richard -- I see that Wendy has stopped in to offer some assistance here! I thought I might share the following, as well:

While it's possible that your file could be corrupt beyond recovery, there may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

And in order to avoid corruption in the future, please see this article: Follow These Tips to Reduce Your Risk of Corrupting or Losing Project Files. 

Please let us know if you are all set or still need more help! 

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Richard,

Our team can't fix corrupt files, as they are likely corrupt beyond recovery. If you want us to confirm that it's not just your installation of Storyline we're happy to help with that by testing your file if you can upload it here in the forums or if you'd prefer to keep it private send along to our Support engineers using this form. 

Annika Enell

Hi everyone,

The problem I had in my course was on the Master slide for the second page in the course. The problem still happens to me every time I create a new course. I think it is caused by something in the imported ppt source file and it could very well be related to different fonts.

The way I fix this is to go to the Master slide for the second page and delete the corrupted information that appears in the 'instruction' text box on the left hand side outside the actual slide. This fixes my problem but Richard's problem may be related to something entirely different.

Kind Regards
Annika