Course Published / Story corrupted

Feb 14, 2020


I have an issue with one of my Storyline courses.  I went back to one of my Storyline courses to find some slides to use in a new course and found out that something happened to all the slides I created other than 4 of them.  Almost 95% of my slides are not there.  I also had a pop up saying that the course was being used in another application and to close and open a new file.  I've never seen this before.  

The course has already been published and works fine.  Is there a way to reverse publish and pull all the slides out of the published course or am I stuck having to redo all the slides again?

Thanks in advance

1 Reply
Katie Riggio

Hello there, David. Happy to dive in!

Although there isn't a way to extract a source file from the published output at this time, I've got a few quick ideas to see if we can get you moving forward:

Lastly, it might also help to see if the .story file that holds the updates is in your temp files. Here's how to check:

  1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of the project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

If any of those tactics don't help, our Engineers are ready to have a closer look with you! With your permission, they'll troubleshoot the .story file and will delete it after their findings.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.