Drag and Drop Variables

Jun 03, 2013

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF /> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I have built a "machine" interaction that presents feedback based on the user's selection of two items (one circle and one square) that are dragged into the machine for "processing." Each pairing of circle/square generates a unique response. Whenever a shape is dragged onto its target, that shape's variable is set to true; whenever the shape is dragged back to its "home" area, its variable is set to false.

I want to prevent the user from being able to drag more than one circle or more than one square to the targets in the machine, without making this interaction into a quiz question. Is there a way to do this? (I've tried a trigger that checks to see if certain variables are set to "true" at the same time, and displaying a message when that is the case, but that has worked only erratically. I had these error-checking triggers at the top of the stacking order on the "Interpret" button. I've removed them because they didn't seem to work.)

My file is attached. Instructions for using the machine are in the audio or on the Notes tab. I'm grateful for any ideas!

4 Replies
Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Rebecca,

This may not satisfy all your needs, but it's a start.

Take a look at slide 2, I duplicated your slide, but made this one into a D&D. You don't have to treat it as a quiz slide. I removed the submit button and placed prev/next buttons instead.

The D&D allows you to check a box that says "allow only one item in each drop target."

BUT

You'll notice that the most recent item dropped on the target stays there. Not necessarily what you might expect. You might expect that the newly dragged one bounces back. You'll see what I mean if you take a look. That's why I'm not sure if this will work for you. If it does, it's a really quick fix.

Otherwise, back to the drawing board!

Rebecca Adler

Wow, Rebecca, thanks for taking a crack at this! You got it working as I want -- only one item can reside in its target slot at a time. I made a few tweaks to the Interaction (such as allowing unlimited tries), which you can see on my screen capture below.  Thanks a bunch for the help. I've experienced a bit of weirdness before when using the Freeform Drag and Drop for another interaction, so I wanted to stay away from it, but you've made it work. Thanks again.
~Rebecca A.

Rebecca Adler

It's so close to working now...the one thing that's funky is that when one circle (or square) displaces another, the first one does snap back to its "home" position, but its variable value does not change to "false." I have each object changing to "false" when it's dragged back to its "home" slot. I think the answer may be to write some logic that ensures that only one "C" variable is true at a time and only one "V" variable is true at a time. Thanks again for your help...you've moved me closer to the answer.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.