Editing a video in Storyline

Feb 26, 2024

I have tried trimming and cropping my video in order make the video fill the whole screen- it looks fine in the Edit Video window- what I want- then I save and close and go to preview the file.  It shows the unedited version of the file- with the white space ribbons on the top and bottom of the slide.  I am following the instructions on how to trim a video and I also used the instructions on how to crop a video when the trim did reflect the changes. 

File:  Want it looks like when trimming save and close- this is the output I want

File (Ribbon):  this is what it looks like after I saved the video and I went to preview project

Thank you for your assistance.

3 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Heidi,

Happy to help!

Here's a quick recording that I made which shows how you can use the crop feature on videos, as well as use it as a reference so you can see how the functionality behaves on my end. 

If the cropping feature doesn't work as it does in my video, try repairing your Storyline 360 installation to see if this fixes the issue. You'll also want to make sure that you're working locally when editing your videos to ensure that the changes are saved. 

If the issue persists, please open a case with our support team here to reach out to our Support Engineers!

Walt Hamilton

My personal soapbox rant:

You might be able to drive your fishing boat with an egg beater, but why would you?  SL is an electronic authoring tool. I find there is a lot less time wasted, and a lot less frustration generated by editing video in a video editing tool, even if you have to wait for it to open. From the sounds of Heidi’s post, it seems as if she has found the frustration.